News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Romanian crusade against communism medal (original?)

BalkanCollector,

Yes it is real.  I don't have production figures but Romania made a lot of these medals.  It is not unusual to find the ribbon for this medal on German ribbon bars of the second world war.  I've posted a link to a site I use often for reference purposes.  It shows a list of the bars awarded with this medal and pictures of some of the bars.  I have not found medals with the bars easy to find.

Regards,

Gordon

https://antique-photos.com/en/awardsdatabase/kingdom-romania/408-crusade-against-communism-medal.html

Kleitmann (The Medal Collector, vol. 39, No. 12, December 1988) indicates that "during the was Messrs. Steinhauer and Luck, and after the war, Rudolf Souval of Vienna, manufactured additional medals with the name of the artist being omitted. Most of the medals were produced from zinc."  Further, Kleitmann (The Medal Collector, vol.38, no, 6, June 1987) states that when two or more battle bars were worn they were to be silvered; when only one battle bar was authorized it was in bronze.

Frank Lockman ((The Medal Collector, vol. 39, No. 1-2, January-February 1988) gives a detailed description and images  of the medal with the bronze planchet and that with the copper-coated zinc planchet mentioned by Kleitman (above). 

Many years ago (I am unable to locate the exact issue) The Medal Collector carried an announcement that Rudolf Souval of Vienna had for sale to collectors a relatively large numbers of the various battle bars for the medal.