News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Polonia Restituta to foreigners

Hello!

How common are Polonia Restituta orders for foreigners outside of the eastern bloc?

I recently bought a medalgroup containing a officers grade Polonia Restituta awarded to a finnish diplomat in 1966. I think it´s a bit strange that a finnish citizen is wearing a order from an allied of the "evil soviet empire", but perhaps it´s more common than I thought?

The other medals on the medalbar is the commemorative medal from the Finnish war 1941-1945 (JsMM), the commemorative cross of the coastal forces, a officers cross of the order of Orange-Nassau and finally the polish order. Both officers crosses have documents. 

BR
    Johan

• 1 month later...

Hello, below list of foreigners decorated with the Order of Polonia Restituta between 1944 -1989, in Polish People's Republic, but I think only 1st class, this way - in total in 1944–1992 (until the end of the Act of the Polish People's Republic period) 681 949 Orders of Rebirth of Poland were awarded. Probably foreigners accounted for 1-2%...

On 03/01/2020 at 19:49, JohanH said:

How common are Polonia Restituta orders for foreigners outside of the eastern bloc?

Quite common and in all classes. Remember that at that time (1966) Polonia Restituta was the only "diplomatic" order of merit of the country and People's Poland maintained diplomatic relations with almost all countries of the world. Not only those of the eastern bloc. The situation changed diametrically in 1974, when the Order of Merit of the People's Republic of Poland was established. From then on, Polonia Restituta started being conferred exclusively upon Polish citizens, and to foreign nationals in exceptional cases only.