Kai Meyer - history/whereabouts

Hi,

I was not successful to find any information about Kai Meyer from Holte, Danmark in the internet.

I have a picture of him sitting in a room full of awards hanging on the wall.

Did someone meet him, is there a biography of him, what happend to his medals/decorations and is there a list of his awards existing (especially those hanging on the wall)?

Regards

Dete

pic.jpg

When I was 15 back in 1976 he appeared in a Danish magazine which had an article about him and his collection. I had gained some interest in collecting Orders & Medals but had no clue of where to go and find these items. The article made it clear that he lived in the area where I grew up, so I took a phonebook (yes, those were the times) and found out that there were 6 people living in my area by that name. Then I took my bicycle and went from address to address, rang the doorbell and asked the simple question "Do your husband collects Orders?". At the third address I got a "Ahh, yes, why" and after having explained myself I was invited in.

Kai Meyer got me started, we became friends and I have spend many many hours in that basement. I have really learned alot from him, he took me under his wings and he explained carefully what to look for, tricks and hints, and all that stuff.

Today I have a quite extensive collection of miniature decorations, the very first miniature I got was bought from him at a very resonnable price, this one:

0406-A.jpg.35eacc18ff5f4cd03c9a031dc5ea18b4.jpg

The picture you have must have been from the 1960ies, when I got to know him he had a much larger collection.

He died many years ago and his collection is sold, but you will still see items from his collection appearing in various auctions with a proper reference, interesting enough I spotted this one in a French auction some months ago:

1479850203_wasacopy.thumb.jpg.277785cdfb87ecc62fa7b47d20d8e6cd.jpg

This is a plate with the Swedish Order of the North Star, still mounted on the plate from his celler, if you look at the picture you can see that his entire collection was mounted this way, plate by plate.

Some older collectors would find him a bit controvercy, but that's another story.

Hope this helps, Lars

Thank you very much for this private story.

Having such a big collection there really should exist an inventory list - I really would like to know what (rare) Finnish medals had been in that fascinating collection.

• Blog Comments

• Lapsang Souchong, when i first tasted this I thought it was like stale cigarette ends...it's an acquired taste for sure.  
    • I like my tea strong enough for my spoon to stand up in. My father got me into it. When my father was at RAF Dum Dum 1943-47 most of his fellow officers drank ice cold drinks to mitigate  the heat, his Sikh batman warned him against it and said that strong hot tea would cool him down, most certainly did. So years later in the UK when everybody else was drinking iced drinks on a baking day the wood family was inbibing copious quantities of hot strong brews of Assam's finest. P
    • Hi ccj, Thanks for your comments. Funny how, for me at least, coffee has become a habit more than a conscience choice. It's the old, "Well if you having one (coffee) pour me as well". When I get together with my son-in-law, a former Brit, it's tea all the way. Thanks again. Regards Brian  
    • I live and grew up in the south (USA) and the drink of choice 7 days a week was cold sweet tea. I was unaware Lipton was British because that’s what most southern use for brewing tea. When I joined the army I learned most people in the north and western parts of the USA drank unsweetened tea and that was perplexing to my young brain. Now days I can’t stand sweet iced tea but it’s still the most common drink in the south, but, you can get unsweetened ice tea in the south. Im familiar with ho
    • I drink tea every day (Chinese tea), I used to buy Sri Lankan black tea at the fair before, it was great! I have been reluctant to drink them all. . The tea I’m talking about is just brewing water, not adding other substancesI