News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

hello all, i recently acquired this medal named to f leopold or possibly leopoldi there is a gap in the last letter or numeral being either a 1 or possibly I { infantry } ive read there may be a medal roll for these, can anyone point me in the right direction . thanks in advance

• 3 years later...

I don't have access to the rolls, but I have seen something similar with other (but non-Hanover) medals. I think it's "LEOPOLD I", in contrast to a "LEOPOLD II" from the same unit. Men were counted within a company if there were two or more by the same family name!

:whistle:

On 27/04/2023 at 06:55, saschaw said:

I don't have access to the rolls, but I have seen something similar with other (but non-Hanover) medals. I think it's "LEOPOLD I", in contrast to a "LEOPOLD II" from the same unit. Men were counted within a company if there were two or more by the same family name!

:whistle:

You are right, this was common practise in Hannover. I. II. III. could be found. And this doesn't necessarilly was just in the same company. 

• 3 weeks later...
    On 04/05/2023 at 09:16, BlackcowboyBS said:

You are right, this was common practise in Hannover. I. II. III. could be found. And this doesn't necessarilly was just in the same company.

Just curious, what other level would it refer to? The whole regiment? It couldn't be the whole state, because then we'd see things like "Müller XLVII" which doesn't exist, and also would have been extremely impracticable.

My company analogy, by the way, stems from Reservisten steins, but it seems to have been a common practice on name-engraved Baden bravery medals as well. I know a "SCHMIDT II" medal, but it wasn't to a second Schmidt recipient of the award...