News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

IA friend has been holding his Bing Tornister in front of my nose for a number of years... almost trading, but never crossing the line... so I was lucky to get another from a different source. my friends one has a single canvas strap, the one I got has 2 leather ones. It must have had canvas ones when it left the factory, but they are long one.... as the straps clip in and out, I am going to hazard a guess that even during the war the canvas ones wore through and were replaced... otherwise the condition is just fine... there are stamps on a leather tab in the inside, but it is impossible to read them... so here for your viewing pleasure... a metal framed Bing Tornister...b4.jpg.194db5c5803f2cb583594c6b16c7ca26.jpgb5.thumb.jpg.4ccb1e901c39234e84166d51ba30bf6d.jpgb3.thumb.jpg.aebd1aad6be898b6f5c427ae1b4a1bfd.jpgb2.thumb.jpg.88321db5cf66ab7735fd7032c609b2fc.jpgb6.thumb.jpg.621d7d993a5c51925f2dbc9bf4cd3aa2.jpgb7.thumb.jpg.1129939b5bf583d817980e13f83e1734.jpg

Fantastisch! One of the things I hope I can own one day. Here are some photo examples with the cloth straps--some are photos in my collection, and 2-3 are internet finds. 

Take note--the top two have one style strap, while the other four men have a strap with what is likely leather reinforcement.

Ersatz Tornister straps (1).jpg

Ersatz Tornister straps, Bay (2).jpg

Ersatz Tornister straps, Bay (3).jpg

Bay Tornister Straps.jpg

Bay mit Ersatz Tornister harness Augsburg.jpg

Bay Soldat, Pickelhaubve, Note Tornister straps.jpg

Edited by Fritz die Spinne
    Additional info

I think the pics you show prove the Kraus statement that these were only given out to Ersatz Battailon to be wrong.

I am guessing these Straps did not really stand the test of time and would have been replaced with leather when worn out? I do not think my leather straps have been on there since the war, but the single strap I was able to examine was IMHO not that strong

All the men wears Ersatz braces for the backpack , the leather reinforcements are placed in the places of more wear  Your ersatz tornister have normal leather braces ,I think that almost every type of combinations were used ; leather backpacks with canvas braces , canvas backpacks with leather braces and so on