News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My Soviet Orders, Medals and Badges

Hi all,

No idea why I didn't post these way back when as I've had them for quite a while now. Got these from Gerd. First off is an Order of the Badge of Honor I purchased in the GMIC auction. It's missing it's gold CCCP letters but otherwise is a great piece.

• Replies 196
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And then there's a researched MMM. This was one of the first ones Gerd got researched. It was originally awarded to Pavel Yevgenievich Mamykin and Gerd's original post on this in the Researched Orders and Medals thread is at:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=9157

He decided to sell it after his Nephew, thinking he was doing Uncle Gerd a favor, found it and decided to polish it up for him. To me, no major harm done. True, it was a shame to lose the original patina. But considering that the vets did polish their awards for parades and such it's not the end of the world. And it will once again gain a patina over time... perhaps even nicer this time around (fingers crossed!). Perhaps even rainbow toning which is truly some of the most beautiful toning one can find, at least to a numismatist. :jumping::jumping:

Here's Gerd's original pic (used with permission):

And my latest scans:

Edited by Hauptman

And then from the other bar the Order of Glory 3rd:

That glory has seen a bit of wear and tear huh..... excess polishing? Considering it should date end of 60's ...........

Never seen one with ALL detail on the tower wiped totally clean!

All the best Dan.

Jim

Wow :Cat-Scratch: Dan,

You realy have a geat collection, keep up the good work :jumping:

Order of Victory

Hi Vic,

Mucho thanks my friend! :beer: Again nothing really eye poppingly extraordinary our exceedingly rare but to me every little bit is history in ones hands. Every piece has a story to tell. Thank goodness with the numbered Orders that we're able to get that story... at least a good bit of the time. I simply can't wait to start being able to research what I can.

And hey, you're doing very well on your various collections and sets too. Congrats again on your latest coup. I know you'll let the cat out of the bag but assuming you're waiting till it arrives. Hope it's soon! :beer: In fact, I nearly get more excited waiting on everyone else to get goodies when I know they're coming then when I have stuff coming to me... and that's saying alot. Definitely can't wait to see great scans of your newest prize. :love: That's one set I've definitely got to get put together myself one of these days.

Thanks again,

Dan :cheers:

That glory has seen a bit of wear and tear huh..... excess polishing? Considering it should date end of 60's ...........

Never seen one with ALL detail on the tower wiped totally clean!

All the best Dan.

Jim

Hi Jim,

Yeah, the vet must have been super proud of it and just kept polishing away for every parade and event you can think of. I do hope it's an indication of something good that got it for him... or her for that matter. Hopefully I'll be able to find out down the road.

Thanks, :beer:

Dan you have a really nice collection now :beer:

The lesson on the MMM, you got from me lately, was: "NEVER EVER leave any stuff laying around, when Kid?s are close" :speechless: But who could have been mad about him, his intentions were good and he really did a good job polishing that Medal, i have to admit it. No worries, it will develop some patina again with the time...

I miss my Homeland :( At least its in good hands :beer:

Great stuff, mate :cheers:

Gerd

The safety-pin-suspension on MMM # 1758993, post # 36. :D

Ahh yes... that one is a hoot isn't it? :lol: But it's just as I got it so I've just let it be. You just never know what you're going to find when collecting these things. Tons of oddball stuff out there.

Thanks again, :beer:

Dan you have a really nice collection now :beer:

The lesson on the MMM, you got from me lately, was: "NEVER EVER leave any stuff laying around, when Kid?s are close" :speechless: But who could have been mad about him, his intentions were good and he really did a good job polishing that Medal, i have to admit it. No worries, it will develop some patina again with the time...

I miss my Homeland :( At least its in good hands :beer:

Great stuff, mate :cheers:

Gerd

Hi Gerd,

Very true... but as you say one could never be mad of him for doing it. He did mean well and he did indeed do a good job. :beer: And of course many vets would polish their awards so not like it was anything different than they would have done. Give it time and mother nature will put a nice new patina on it and as I say perhaps it'll be even better than the first one. :jumping:

I'll let your Homeland know that dad says hi and says greetings from across the pond. You'll definitely have to come visit sometime and see how it's doing. But plenty of friends to keep it company, that's for sure! :lol:

Many thanks my friend. :beer:

Hi Vic,

Mucho thanks my friend! :beer: Again nothing really eye poppingly extraordinary our exceedingly rare but to me every little bit is history in ones hands. Every piece has a story to tell. Thank goodness with the numbered Orders that we're able to get that story... at least a good bit of the time. I simply can't wait to start being able to research what I can.

And hey, you're doing very well on your various collections and sets too. Congrats again on your latest coup. I know you'll let the cat out of the bag but assuming you're waiting till it arrives. Hope it's soon! :beer: In fact, I nearly get more excited waiting on everyone else to get goodies when I know they're coming then when I have stuff coming to me... and that's saying alot. Definitely can't wait to see great scans of your newest prize. :love: That's one set I've definitely got to get put together myself one of these days.

Thanks again,

Hi Dan,

Yeah no details will be relaesed until the item is in my grubby little mits :jumping:

Order of Victory

An awesome collection you are amassing there! I really love that worn Order of Glory 3rd class! :love::love:

Hi Paul,

Many thanks my friend. Again... nothing really spectacular like from Marshals, Generals, Admirals and famous individuals... just good old, gritty down to earth, hard earned and proudly worn goodies. And on that Glory... I can't wait to be able to have the pieces on that bar and the other researched to A) confirm if they do belong together which I agree is doubtful... and if not at least uncover their history (knock on wood) and know the why's and wherefor's behind them. Perhaps she's got a great story to tell. If all works out then hopefully I'll be able to get going on all this in another few months and hopefully by the end of the year we'll know all there is to know (again knock on wood).