Sign in to follow this  
cazack

Some Indian Groups

Hi All

just wanted to share a few of my Indian groups I have rediscovered after starting to sort out my collection

The are as follows:

Group 1.

Singh. D

L / Hvr

Sikh Light Infantry

Group 2 (Issued 2 x 9 year long service medals)

Ditta. B

Sepoy

Army Service Corps

Group 3

Singh. H.

Sub / Clk

JC/14071

Dogra Regiment

Group 4

Singh. S

Sepoy

Sikh Light Infantry

regards

C

e.jpg

f.jpg

g.jpg

h.jpg

Very nice!  The double LSGC is interesting but not unheard of - clerical error, likely.  Are they both named in the same way?  The other thing that happens from time to time is that what are called 'tailor's copies' - private purchase versions - get mounted, either as replacements, in error or 'just because we can'.  Any prospect of researching any of the groups?

It's a shame, though, that India has followed the lead of so many countries in using cheap metal for awards.  The ribbons are quite attractive and something which would actually take and keep a shine would make for a far nicer group. :(  

Hi Peter

regards to the double long service group they seem similarly numbered but don't think they are tailors copies as the naming is same style as the other medals in the group  and other Indian medals. 

yes agree the quality of the metal used is not great.

I looked at trying to research the medals when I was in India a year or so ago, but no one seemed to helpful

regards

C

Researching OR is very difficult, unless your gentlemen was into a big action which is well documented for civilians.

Double strikes are indeed clerical errors and these kind of medals turn up time to time in India 

Not that this post is intended for "double issues" but I thought I would take this opportunity to post one of mine. Back a few years ago when I was deeply interested in the medals of India and Pakistan a friend of mine,who resided in the Punjab,would find medal groups I might be interested in and would forward them to me. Many times these arrived in a package all tied together with twine just as he had found them. I would remount them and in this case mounted the extra General Service Medal with the Naga Hills clasp and marked in on the back so that these would all stay together when another collector acquired them from me or my children some time in the future.

Regards

Brian

Indian group.JPG