A friend of mine has asked if I could recognise rank and/or regiment of the gentleman in the attached photo.  

Basically family members of this chap only have this one photo of him, I believe he is their great-great grandfather, and they are keen to learn more about him.  Indeed, they are commissioning a portrait of him to be painted, so clearly to their family he is important.  All they know is that he was in the Indian Army but they have no idea what his rank was or what regiment.  Unfortunately this photo doesn't show much at all, and I cannot recognise those collar badges.  Can anyone help please?

82945836_470275400259351_3302379282784845824_n.png

Its difficult ,the photo appears to be retouched ,and the badge too , with a lot of imagination the badge looks like that of the Punjab Regiment. 

49 minutes ago, Bayern said:

Its difficult ,the photo appears to be retouched ,and the badge too , with a lot of imagination the badge looks like that of the Punjab Regiment. 

I think typical of a photo of that time!  

Punjab Regt - hmm...I see why you said that, but yes, it does need a lot of imagination to make it fit!

The artist who has been commissioned to paint this chap's portrait also asked me if I could identify the regiment what colour the tunic should be.  I am guessing from the photo is a plain khaki, but if we can figure out the regiment it will be much clearer.

Hello , plain khaki yes but lightweight cloth and not serge cloth . regarding the posible badge Lancers not . Sikh Infantry not. Jats also no. with certain imagination again ,Ghurka . Artillery ? not  well, remember that existed also the Princely Armies as the Army of Hyderabad or that of Kashmir .

On 10/02/2020 at 09:19, Bayern said:

Hello , plain khaki yes but lightweight cloth and not serge cloth . regarding the posible badge Lancers not . Sikh Infantry not. Jats also no. with certain imagination again ,Ghurka . Artillery ? not  well, remember that existed also the Princely Armies as the Army of Hyderabad or that of Kashmir .

Gurkha - no.

Sadly, it takes a fair bit of imagination to make the badges fit ANY common IA unit, IMHO.  The shape is very odd indeed and, as has been remarked, has clearly suffered from retouching. :(

On 13/02/2020 at 21:56, peter monahan said:

Sadly, it takes a fair bit of imagination to make the badges fit ANY common IA unit, IMHO.  The shape is very odd indeed and, as has been remarked, has clearly suffered from retouching. :(

I totally agree with you Peter.  I am from the Brigade of Gurkhas (now retired) so am familiar with all the Gurkha badges and my imagination doesn't let it fit in there at all.  And in case, he doesn't look like a Gurkha.  I tried an old chum of mine who was originally commissioned in 1/1 Gurkha Rifles in India, but he can't make head nor tail of it either.  I also tried an old friend in Kolkata, but same thing.  Such a shame because it is clearly an important issue for the family - otherwise they wouldn't be going to the expense of having this gentleman's portrait painted.  Hey ho.

Marku

As you say, a pity after the family clearly tried to commemorate the man's service. :(