News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Swedish miniatyr bar with Finnish and German miniatyr

Simon Olsson's list ("Belönade av Hitler - Svenska mottagare av Tyska örnens orden 1937‒1945") lists 247 of - allegedly - a total of 254 Swedish recipients of the German Order of the Eagle, but none of them match this combination - in fact not even close, unfortunately.

That being said, the combination looks to be quite unique. Provided it wasn't tampered with, not many recipients could have received the German order and the Swedish Patriotic Society medal with King Carl XVI Gustaf (1973 - onwards)... 

The bar doesnt look like its fixed......but of course everything can be possible. I bought it from auction.

Most interesting for me is that Finnish Cross of Liberty 3rd class with red cross 1939 miniatyr. With same deal came also the real size order. That order was awarded only 48 times and mainly to doctors or persons who had something to do with hospitals and medicine during the Winter war. 

I double-checked the list for all recipients with Cross of Liberty 3rd class (including 'with swords' in case there was a typo), but they (15 in total) either received other medals, received other knight-level orders, did not receive the Order of Vasa or were deceased in 1973. And none had any relation to any medical service.

What is the last medal?
    Some semi-official agriculture medal?

A most interesting bar.

That last medal is Skånska Länsmannens Centralförening. So it must be unofficial medal. 

Cross of Liberty Crosses with red cross are normally without swords. One exeption is one Cross of Liberty 2nd Class with red cross and swords. That 2nd class was awarded to person who was in charge of the office of war prisoners. 

It looks like the hallmark on the libertycross is E6? That would  mean it´s manufactured 1934 and could therefor suggest a 1918 cross?

Since there is no military medals we can assume the recipient was a civilian otherwise there should probably be some military award. And the lack of royal jubilee medals he was probably not working for the royal court.  

Of course he could have had some neckorder that don´t show up on his miniature bar. 

He must have been alive later than 1973 since the royal patriotic society medal has Carl XVI Gustaf on it. 

The last medal is a commemorative medal from Skånska Landtmännens Centralförening 1904-1954. A society that made farmer buy tools, supplies and stuff jointly for a better price. Today there is only one nationwide society called Lantmännen. 

So he was probably living and working with something related to farming in Skåne (south of Sweden).

Strange bar indeed!

Well... For me it look little strange.

Specially if you look on the thread on which the ribbons are sewn with on the reverse side. Most often when you make a mounting it is the same color on the thread on the back. Here you have diffrent threads on almost all medals. And it's not made very professional.

On 17/02/2020 at 21:32, Micke said:

Well... For me it look little strange.

Specially if you look on the thread on which the ribbons are sewn with on the reverse side. Most often when you make a mounting it is the same color on the thread on the back. Here you have diffrent threads on almost all medals. And it's not made very professional.

Dear Mr. Mitce, I would like to ask some other questions. Sweden's Vassar order has a lower rank than the Polaris order? I see that many German medal bars have the shadow of the Vasa order. There are fewer North Stars, but there are more Asians who get North Star breast stars.

2 hours ago, 1812 Overture said:

Dear Mr. Mitce, I would like to ask some other questions. Sweden's Vassar order has a lower rank than the Polaris order? I see that many German medal bars have the shadow of the Vasa order. There are fewer North Stars, but there are more Asians who get North Star breast stars.

Both orders have the same number of classes, 5.

The order of vasa is an open order. So anyone, almost, could get it for almost anything :). The order of the northen star was given for Civil-  and scientific- merits. So for example embassy staff are given the nothern star. Thats is why i think there are more asians who got awarded the Northen star because there was not so many asians before 1975 in Sweden eccept embassy staff.   

19 minutes ago, Micke said:

Both orders have the same number of classes, 5.

The order of vasa is an open order. So anyone, almost, could get it for almost anything :). The order of the northen star was given for Civil-  and scientific- merits. So for example embassy staff are given the nothern star. Thats is why i think there are more asians who got awarded the Northen star because there was not so many asians before 1975 in Sweden eccept embassy staff.   

thank you. I purchased Vassar Command Grand Breast Star and Polaris Big Cross Breast Star

1 minute ago, 1812 Overture said:

thank you. I purchased Vassar Command Grand Breast Star and Polaris Big Cross Breast Star

Thats great. I think the swedish orders are one of the most beautiful orders. Maybe because im swedish :):) 

8 minutes ago, Micke said:

Thats great. I think the swedish orders are one of the most beautiful orders. Maybe because im swedish :):) 

You are right, I also like Swedish orders! I like six angels the most, but I can't buy them. . . I also like Polaris because it has no enamel and I don't have to worry about collisions. At the same time, King Oscar II is also a historical figure I admire! It is enviable that Sweden is also a military power in history!

The government in Sweden has started an investigation to reintroduce so that Swedish citizens can again be awarded the Swedish orders. As well as resurrecting the dormant orders. So we will see what happens.

• 4 weeks later...
    • 5 weeks later...

Seems that bar is bit mysterious. I dont have so much experience of Swedish miniatyr bars. But is those orders are in the correct order? I mean Vasa comes before the Swedish Patriotic Society medal, Finland, Germany etc. In general is it common to have that kind semi-official medal in these kind of bars?

• 3 weeks later...
    On ‎21‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 21:16, JanneP said:

Seems that bar is bit mysterious. I dont have so much experience of Swedish miniatyr bars. But is those orders are in the correct order? I mean Vasa comes before the Swedish Patriotic Society medal, Finland, Germany etc. In general is it common to have that kind semi-official medal in these kind of bars?

Its common in Sweden. The Swedish regualtions say that you wear Swedish orders/medals first then the nordic countries then other countries, names in french, and last international medals, such as UN, NATO etc.

The last medal on the bar are in the wrong Place. I Think it was awarded after he mounted the medals and didnt want to ree do it all, so he just put it last.