News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

norwest78, what irritates me is the clear separation between the groups - Germans standing, the others sitting, no intermixture - i know a lot of "friends and allies" pictures but there they always intermingle - not here. Might be somewhere in the Hinterland where it was safe, this is why I would, opt, cautiously, for POWs, but I am open for any other explanation! Cheers

A friend sent this info to me, which lends credence to the possibility that these Czechs were allied with the Germans:

There was a small Czech Army setup after the Nazis took over and they were used against partisans and in 1944 they were sent to Italy ...and the uniforms in that pic would be correct so , if they were part of that group , they were allied with the Germans at the time ...but since there's no date , we don't know https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_Army_(Bohemia_and_Moravia)

Gentlemen , After the Ocupation of Czechoslovakia in March of 1939 ,the country was splited in two. one portion constituited the Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia ,the other the  State of Slovakia .In the Protectorate the Germans retained the Police and the Gendarmerie of the former Czechoslovakia in their service with the same uniforms and organisation and formed an Army the Government Army which lasted until 1945 .thats one possibility .the other is Slovak soldiers of the Fast Division  a mixed force of motorized and Cavalry units that taked part in Barbarrossa under the command of General Augustin Malar .the pictured soldiers are seated because they are eating and is noticeable that they wears cavalry boots , the other units weared ankle boots and putees ., 

For me a very typical POW photo.... You see them more often in WW1.... the guys in the uniforms sitting just having been captured and sent to the rear, and the german soldiers in the rear, having down time, dressed like they are in this pic... of to the side may be a dude with a rifle who had brought them to the rear... ....