News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The shoulder board is "Feldflieger" if I remember correctly? So it needn't necessarily be a pilot?

I think the text reads "Weihnachten im Felde 1916 Hans Haberstumpf (?)" = Christmas in the field 1916 [name] Hans Haberstumpf" [No idea if H. H. was the - quite talented! - painter or the painted man]

Besides that: Very nice portrait - like it!

Cheers

Edited by ArHo

Hi ArHo,

you remember correctly and read the text correct, too. May I add, that Hans Haberstrumpf (the one in the picture) was member of the Bavarian Luftstreitkräfte (no number beneath the winged propeller). So if somebody has an ancestry access, you will be able to find his complete military cv in the Bavarian Stammrollen.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

5 hours ago, ArHo said:

The shoulder board is "Feldflieger" if I remember correctly? So it needn't necessarily be a pilot?

I think the text reads "Weihnachten im Felde 1916 Hans Haberstumpf (?)" = Christmas in the field 1916 [name] Hans Haberstumpf" [No idea if H. H. was the - quite talented! - painter or the painted man]

Besides that: Very nice portrait - like it!

Cheers

Thank you so much for this translation. It had been hounding me for quite a long time. So his shoulder board may mean that he was either a ground administrator or crew? I assumed he was a pilot because of the EKII ribbon. But he does look a bit "old" to be a pilot.

Thanks again,

Rav

4 hours ago, GreyC said:

Hi ArHo,

you remember correctly and read the text correct, too. May I add, that Hans Haberstrumpf (the one in the picture) was member of the Bavarian Luftstreitkräfte (no number beneath the winged propeller). So if somebody has an ancestry access, you will be able to find his complete military cv in the Bavarian Stammrollen.

GreyC

Thank you so much! I love the Bavarian Air Units especially Jasta 5 (Green Tails). I hope I find someone who has ancestry access to find out who he was with. What does Feldflieger mean in terms of his shoulder board? I have heard of the FFA but I am not well knowledged in shoulder boards.

Thank you for the info, it's all going into my notes ?

Feldflieger just means that his unit was part of the army, not the navy. Both had squadrons that started and landed on solid ground. Most of theses navy units were employed in Flandres. Besides those the navy had sea-plane units and airships, of course. There were a few army airships about, too. During WW1 there was no independent air-force. That came later.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC