News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Naval Sayings

• 6 months later...
    • Replies 60
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a mixed bag to add, some old some new used in the Aussie navy:

Redders: tomato sauce

Going around the bouy: to have seconds at meal time

Duff: dessert

Dhurry: cigarette

Lashed (up): to be chosen for a onerous task

Skidded: as above

Tiddly: neat and tidy, squared away

Fang bosun: dentist

Scab-lifter: medic

Uckers: navy version of Ludo, bits usually being made of .50Cal shells

Dit: film/movie or story, as in "Spin me a dit"

Warrie: tall story, usually told on the piss.

Bit rushed at the moment, will add more when I think of them.

Regards;

Johnsy

• 1 month later...

Sippers and Gulpers

Sometimes a mess of RN ratings would 'pool' their rum ration into one large drinking vessel which would be passed round for each to take a sip or gulp (that being decided at the start of the round)

Also the rum ration was often used as a kind of currency among the ratings and a sip or gulp from one's ration recognised as payment for deals or favours.

Sippers and Gulpers

Sometimes a mess of RN ratings would 'pool' their rum ration into one large drinking vessel which would be passed round for each to take a sip or gulp (that being decided at the start of the round)

Also the rum ration was often used as a kind of currency among the ratings and a sip or gulp from one's ration recognised as payment for deals or favours.

the daily issue of rum at its demise (31st July 1970) was 1/3rd of a gil added to twice its volume of water (neat for Senior Rates)

it was broken down into 3 gulpers, one or more could be given to your oppo for good favours received

each gulp was sub-divided into 3 sippers for minor favours

a more random measure was to offer whatever you had left for the recipient to finish off - to drink to the "sandy bottoms"

I could go on but I think I can already hear the snoring

• 2 months later...
    • 1 month later...

Same place as Rum Bum and Baccy (someone's obviously not using enough masking tape!)

Which brings us to the term "beenie", as in "been a man" i.e. chicks with dicks, sluts with nuts etc. :speechless1: I think that this is a purely modern Aussie naval slang word, I have never heard it used anywhere else. I did in fact horrify an American women when I was in Hi. many years ago, she was selling some sort of stuffed toy, a collectors item I am led to believe, called Beanies. I took great delight in explaining what the term meant in Aussie slang. She was selling stickers which proclaimed "I Love Beanies", so I bought some, and giggling like a child stuck them to the locker doors (after your rack, the only personal space you have onboard) of those I had an slanging match with in recent times.

Regards;

Johnsy

• 4 months later...

I suppose a natural successor to this thread are the innumerable words/saying in common usage that have their origin in the military and colonial experience.

Obvious examples would be:

Khaki (India)

Khaki is actually from Persian, Khak. The modern colour originated on the Frontier, of course, were (at least when Harlan was exploring the region) Persian was a very common language and nearly universally spoken among the upper classes.

~TS

• 3 months later...