News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

SRI LANKA MODERN POLICE MEDAL

heusy68

Hello Gentlemen,

Having recently been to Sri Lanka, I was able to get this group. Yes, it seems that nowadays in Sri Lanka, they mount medals group opposite ways.

The 1st Medal (from left) is Armed & Police Service Military Decoration ( Purna Bhumi Padakkama) this medal has been instituted in 1977, Police Meritorious Service Medal (Sri Lanka Police Vishishta Seva Padakkama), Police LSGC Medal ( Sri Lanka Police Deergha Sewa Padakkama), Police 125th Anniversary, Sri Lanka 50th Anniversary of Independence Police Issue, Police 150th Anniversary, St John Medal (now consider as a First Aid Medal, in a general sense).

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Sri Lanka Police Group obverse.jpg

Sri Lanka Police Group reverse.jpg

Edited by heusy68

Here you can see better the Sri Lanka Police MSM ( local translation : Medals for Skills ). Local official name : Sri Lanka Police Vishishta Seva Padakkama.

The medal is metal, silvered plated. Diameter : 35 Millimeters.

I have not seen any of these medals named.

Regards.

Emmanuel

Sri Lanka Police MSM Medal obverse.jpg

Sri Lanka Police MSM Medal reverse.jpg

Edited by heusy68

Here you can see better the Sri Lanka Police LSGC Medal, local name : Deergha Sewa Padakkama

The medal is silvered plated metal. They are worn un named.

Diameter : 36 Millimeters.

It seems to now exist a new ribbon for the Police LSGC Medal (without the white line). I have been able to buy a group with such a ribbon. I have no idea which year this changes may have occur.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Sri Lanka Police LSGC Medal obverse.jpg

Sri Lanka Police LSGC Medal reverse.jpg

It exist a Wound Medal, specific issue to the Police. And believe me, not easy to catch.

This medal was instituted in 1982. The medal is silvered plated.

Its local name is : Desha Puthra Padakkama

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Sri Lanka Police NE operation Medal obverse.jpg

Sri Lanka Police NE operation Medal reverse.jpg

Edited by heusy68

It exist a modern version of the Sri Lanka Police Gallantry Medal. Local name : Sri Lanka Police Weeratha Padakkama.

By the way, I'am not 100 % sure, it's an original strike. Anyways this medal is hung for an old version of the LSGC Medal ribbon.

Best regards to all.

Emmanuel,

Sri Lanka Police Gallantry Medal obverse.JPG

Sri Lanka Police Gallantry Medal reverse.JPG

Edited by heusy68

These following photo were taken for the web site of Sri Lanka Police

The 2 Medals on right hand side, are the 2 Gallantry Medal of Police (why 2 ?)

On Top is Police Gallantry Medal ( Sri Lanka Police Weeratha Padakkama ), and on bottom the rare President Police Gallantry Medal ( Janadhipathi Police Weeratha Padakkama ).

I even been not able to get ribbon for that medal.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Sri Lanka Police Medal 2.png

Edited by heusy68

• 7 months later...
    On 14/03/2020 at 11:01, peter monahan said:

That is a really lovely group.  Interesting mounting too - the overlap is the opposite of what is common practice for most Commonwealth countries.  

This reverse mounting seems to be a recent practice with the Sri Lanka Police. The SL Army, Navy and Airforce still continue to mount their medals the 'normal' way.  

fonseka.jpg

sinniah.jpg

SLAF.jpg

On 10/03/2020 at 08:49, heusy68 said:

Hello Gentlemen,

Having recently been to Sri Lanka, I was able to get this group. Yes, it seems that nowadays in Sri Lanka, they mount medals group opposite ways.

The 1st Medal (from left) is Armed & Police Service Military Decoration ( Purna Bhumi Padakkama) this medal has been instituted in 1977, Police Meritorious Service Medal (Sri Lanka Police Vishishta Seva Padakkama), Police LSGC Medal ( Sri Lanka Police Deergha Sewa Padakkama), Police 125th Anniversary, Sri Lanka 50th Anniversary of Independence Police Issue, Police 150th Anniversary, St John Medal (now consider as a First Aid Medal, in a general sense).

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Sri Lanka Police Group obverse.jpg

Sri Lanka Police Group reverse.jpg

Hello Emmanuel, I am writing a book about "Orders, Decorations and Medals of Ceylon / Sri Lanka from 1795 to the present" and would like to contact you for some details. Can you please email me at ceylon_medals@hotmail.com ?   Thanks, Charles