Sign in to follow this  
Chris Boonzaier

Almost perfect 88 Shoulder straps....

I good friend knew i have been looking for a set of 88s for years and years and years... he had 3 straps...

2 matched perfectly from behind (lets call them 1 and 2) 1 and 2 had the backs made with scraps of material. However 1 + 2 were different on the front... well, technically the same, however, you could see a different person had sewn them, taking more or less care on different parts.... strap 3 was totally different on the back, but it looks to be the same hand that made the front as strap 1.

Am I right in thinking the fronts were hand sewn on a sheet, cut out, and delivered to the next clothing factory who sewed them together using whatever backing was left over?

Anyway, I am very happy, matching fronts were more important to me... and this will go on my Feldgrau tunic where the wearer was originally in the 88....88a.thumb.jpg.6c54e88a9a12b3559e68c16c8d0a7ca2.jpg88b.thumb.jpg.b828593e0ccdba353ebc80439f7c5c9e.jpg

Look nice and I’m happy you finally found a pair. I know how it feels to search years for a specific set of straps. please show us if you add to your tunic.

BTW, interesting theory on strap production. I have no clue what process was used and I’ve never given it thought. I bet chip has a theory.

Hi Chris,  beautiful boards  - congratulation