News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Colonial medal on a Franco-Prussian medal bar

1 hour ago, VtwinVince said:

It's von Trotha, a man whom my grandmother knew later in life.

???

IMHO that went too expensive, especially the other minor bar with only Prussian or Reichsorden... in total the market value of the medals were not even half the final bid price worth. Well at least I was the second highest bidder and the price increased at least Eur 1’500  due to my bidding fight. I’m sure that after € 6’500 there were only two bidders really interested to have it.

Do not forget that if the bidder got both bars in total with the commission fees and taxes had to spend more around Eur 14,500... way too much. for bars who nobody will see them because in a private stored away in collection and not exhibited in a museum or in at least shown and shared with other history buffs, passionate student of phaleristics or simply in the collecting world.

Agreed, Simi. I think the Belgians and English in particular have a lot to answer for, and of course the French record isn't so stellar either. I laugh when I hear about the 'barbarous' Germans in Africa. How is it that they had the most loyal and effective Colonial army on the continent, when they so badly mistreated the locals? I am of course referring to the Askaris. But in this day and age of 'Wiedergutmachung' the present Germans hold international forums to discuss new ways in which they can self-flagellate for the sins of their forefathers (reference the Hereros and Hottentots). I haven't seen the same introspection on the part of the English, for instance, and their hundred-year occupation of India. Anyway, my mother has some nice photos of von Trotha from the 1930's in colonial regalia. And I agree with Claudio and his appraisal of these items, they should be in a museum. I have a historically very significant medal bar which I think should be in a museum, but try getting one to pay market value!

13 hours ago, Simius Rex said:

Trotha has also been the victim of what you called the "Age Of Wiedergutmachung".

He's hardly a victim, he is someone who is unworthy of a streetname. New times bring new insights, which is exactly why they are changing it.

13 hours ago, Simius Rex said:

I have to seriously wonder how many museums in Germany would be willing to put Trotha's medal bar on display in this kind of political climate.

Every museum would be willing to, for the same reason every historical museum is willing to put up SS stuff, controversy sells.

On 03/05/2020 at 18:18, VtwinVince said:

How is it that they had the most loyal and effective Colonial army on the continent

They had the best army in Africa because they paid the best. The BRD payed out pensions well into the '60s

Right, and this is why they still speak German in Windhoek. And of course the communist idiots in charge these days will not be stopped in their 'inclusiveness' agenda. Here on Vancouver Island we have a mayor who unilaterally, without public consultation, had a bronze statue of Sir John A. MacDonald removed from its pedestal because, in this current climate, we cannot abide having a statue of a 'racist alcoholic' on public display. So why do we tolerate rich, sleazy psychopaths leading governments today? Because populations have been dummed down and brainwashed by the elites to put up with their agenda, which includes the mindless rewriting and destruction of history to suit a narrative. But of course there are countless schools, streets etc. around here named after genuine war criminals, such as Churchill, Kitchener etc. Can you spell hypocrisy? Apparently the city of Berlin is in the process of stripping the Ehrenburgerschaft from dozens of historical notables, including Field Marshal von Hindenburg. Thank God!