News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Pilot and Obsverver Prussian and Bavarian badges

Dear forumites!

I would love to hear your opinions on these.. the last Bavarian observer badge (Pöllath) the catch have been replaced, it looks like a period repair.

Enjoy the pictures!

cheers

Claudio

A90FAB4F-839E-4D10-BD2B-B876186503C7.jpeg

A1BA5333-E93B-4BEA-AD44-0BF4944EB766.jpeg

C7E42AE3-D190-4A77-BD33-73F1E7795E1F.jpeg

B1EFE44E-43E3-4579-8BDA-64958F24877F.jpeg

B53EB8C6-D84E-44DE-B3F7-2EDD1C612D5D.jpeg

AFC76B09-4FA1-4449-95BF-6E46C3D7F1DE.jpeg

59454AAA-E9FA-44AA-9DF9-564161ED39DD.jpeg

3E56CB0B-FF7D-41D3-88ED-3E0C53BE90D2.jpeg

Hi Claudio,

I think the first two are fakes, as I have never seen a cut-out version of the pilot badge come out of an estate, and the design of the Taube looks to me like Wilm, not Juncker. The first Bavarian observer I don't like, I think the engraving looks weird, and it should have a Strahlenplatte, not a smooth one. Also, the hooks for the attachment of the enamel device don't look right, and neither does the hollow area for the pin attachment. The second observer has a good chance, I like the style of engraving, the reverse looks good as well as the hardware. Do you have a close-up of the engraving?

Dear Vince, dear forumites,

I received some more photographs (bad quality, I had to improve them, but I can't do wonders...) of some other badges.

I start with this Bavarian Observer Badge (Halbhohl - semi-hollow). I don't quite like the pin on the back, although the patina on the front looks good.

Any comments? ;)

C

PS: the last mega-big picture of the front enamelled detail doesn't help very much...

fullsizeoutput_113d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_113c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_113f.jpeg

Here another badge Marine-Beobachter... this looks good, but I'm not so sure about the reverse (see pin).

Comments? 

fullsizeoutput_1148.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1149.jpeg

This other Marine-Beobachter badged the patina looks really weird on the front... on the back I have never seen maker marks of Juncker like this... almost if someone has tried to replicate it.

Comments?

fullsizeoutput_114a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_114e.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_114f.jpeg

This Marine Flugzeugführer Badge looks a bit better, but I presume this one was produced in the twenties or early thirties... the hinge of this pin on the reverse looks almost like a Zimmermann; did this maker also produced such badges?

fullsizeoutput_1140.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1141.jpeg

This Marine Observer badge is the one I like the best of all of them... 

Any suggestions? ;)

fullsizeoutput_1151.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1152.jpeg

This Marine Flugzeugführer badge looks really weird... no detail on the front, it looks like someone has tried to make it look heavily worn... the hinge and pin on the reverse is really bad IMHO. The miniature (picture quality very bad) comes with this last badge in a lot.

What do you think? 

Thanks in advance for your kind opinions and comments... I really appreciate your expertise! :thumbup:

Best regards,

Claudio

fullsizeoutput_1159.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_115a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1157.jpeg

Hi Claudio,

You're right, the best piece is the Schaper observer, can you get a close up of the name scratched on the reverse? Beautiful and scarce badge. It looks like the Bavarian observer is by the 'square punch maker', but you're right, the pin hardware is not typical for this type of badge. The massive observer stands a chance, but not an award example for sure. I like the naval pilot with the star mark on the pin, this type has been ascribed to Godet, and is relatively rare. The last naval pilot you posted could be a heavily worn original, as I've seen similar ones in higher grades of silver. If the price is right, I would go after the Schaper and the unusual Godet. BTW the Godet observer at the beginning is a fake.

This badges are from the next Staiffer auction. There are a lot of aviation badges for sell in the next ausction. This might come from a collection. Many of them are fakes but also some nice pieces.

The pilot badge numbered 500 is a good piece but badly worn.

Kind regards

Aöex