Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Saw this earlier, thought it might make an interesting topic for discussion?

https://www.seattletimes.com/opinion/le ... esponders/

Although this would appear to be an American award. There was the Ebola Medal.

https://www.identifymedals.com/database/medals-by-period/post-ww2-medals/the-ebola-medal-for-service-in-west-africa/

Wonder whether we'll see a Covid 19 medal at sometime in the future? 

 

Covid 19 Medal 003.jpg

Edited by bigjarofwasps

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting and quite timely, thanks for sharing this with us.

Regards

Brian

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course we know of the Hong Kong and Messina plague medals.  Seems like a reasonable idea for those who serve in the front lines.  Certainly more deserved than some of the medals I got for breathing in the right part of the world.  

 

H  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/03/2020 at 01:19, Hugh said:

Seems like a reasonable idea for those who serve in the front lines. 

Certainly more deserved than some of the medals I got for breathing in the right part of the world.  

But what would the criteria for such  a medal be?

I would suggest that those defined as "key workers" should qualify. Key workers being defined as those who didn't have a choice whether they stood the chance of being exposed to the virus.

Certainly all the emergency services and military should qualify? 

But what about qualifying time?

The Ebola Medal criteria was "21 days of continuous service or 30 days accumulated service on working visits of 48 hours or more to the operating area."

Qualifying time for the Covid Medal could be 90 days accumulated service, from the 28 February 2020 until a date to be specified? 

Medals could be engraved with the recipients name and perhaps rank if applicable? 

Position of wear, medal would be worn before the Ebola Medal but after any Long Service Medal. I believe the National Crime Agency Long Service and Good Conduct Medal would hold this distinction?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They could also have a "sheltered at home" clasp for us old ones who are told to stay at home!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well this is an interesting topic

I would think it should extend to anyone who has of is required to work through this if they are providing a service away from a isolated place such as their homes. Top of the list for certain should be health workers then others to follow. there are different sectors of the now limited work force that still need to front up while others don't. There will be people such as the emergency services,  utility workers, food production chefs and delivery staff, supply chain teams etc. who may not be as front line as health workers but in their own way provide a important service and will also have an increased risk of catching the virus.

Maybe the medal could have a similar ribbon, 1 for direct front line workers, and 1 for support / not front line as would be good to acknowledge those who but others needs a head of their own

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems the Spanish, have given some thought to an award honouring those involved in the fight against Covid 19.

 

 

Spain.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Attention

The one is a own "recreation" of the old crosses, as a tribute to all of you who are fighting against this covid-19 pandemic. Time will tell how these professionals are rewarded ..

Now updated

pandemia.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Antonio Prieto said:

Attention

The one is a own "recreation" of the old crosses, as a tribute to all of you who are fighting against this covid-19 pandemic. Time will tell how these professionals are rewarded ..

Now updated

pandemia.jpg

Very well presented Antonio, am impressed!!!
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that the problem right now would be that so many people are part of the fight and/or are putting themselves at risk while performing their duties that it might be hard to bestow any such award in a fair manner. Think of all the supermarket/store workers, cleaning staff, mail/package and general delivery personnel and the list goes on and on with people that you might not realize are working and risking exposure. Then there are those who show leadership or forward thinking and took action way before they were told to do so by a government and have played a part in slowing the spread.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, OvBacon said:

I think that the problem right now would be that so many people are part of the fight and/or are putting themselves at risk while performing their duties that it might be hard to bestow any such award in a fair manner. Think of all the supermarket/store workers, cleaning staff, mail/package and general delivery personnel and the list goes on and on with people that you might not realize are working and risking exposure. Then there are those who show leadership or forward thinking and took action way before they were told to do so by a government and have played a part in slowing the spread.   

As things have developed, I'm now inclined to agree with you, that a Covid 19 medal would far outweigh the amount of Ebola medals issued and as such it is becoming more and more unlikely, even if such an award had been considered, in the first place?

However having said that who many WW2 defence medals or indeed WW2 war medals and 1939-45 stars, were issued. Not everyone involved in the war effort qualified for any or indeed all?

I would also suggest that perhaps any purposed Covid 19 medal, should be aimed at those that didn't have a real choice whether they went to work or not, medical staff and the emergency services for instance. I fully appreciate that other organisations are doing a sterling job, but unlike the aforementioned public services, other organisations could just stop going to work if things started getting too dangerous? 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the UK there are 1.2million NHS workers in England alone you then need to factor in Scotland, NI and Wales., if you then consider any other persons such as NHS volunteers 700,000 of them or other public facing key workers involved in the fight  like police, military, Border Force, council employees,  Public Health bodies etc etc Then there are charity workers exposing themselves to help people in unfortunate circumstances. 

Thats the tip of the iceberg and a lot of people to consider. The criteria would have to be very strict to make such a medal feasible i.e. front line carers exposing themselves to high risk of infection. But then that would denigrate other essential persons who have placed themselves at high risk of infection for example cleaning staff, in hospitals. We need to see how this pans out in the long term, as it is just the beginning.

You may be right that like WW2 a series of medals needs to be considered dependent on role. Call me a cynic  but the one factor in the UK that will without a doubt influence any such decisions will be the role the military play in this. If they are deployed in significant numbers, then standby for medals to be issued. If not then other than recognising the acts of a few key individuals such as the usual bigwigs at the top,  or those that have sadly paid the ultimate sacrifice or placed themselves at immense risk is the more likely option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 31/03/2020 at 10:43, Nick said:

In the UK there are 1.2million NHS workers in England alone you then need to factor in Scotland, NI and Wales., if you then consider any other persons such as NHS volunteers 700,000 of them or other public facing key workers involved in the fight  like police, military, Border Force, council employees,  Public Health bodies etc etc Then there are charity workers exposing themselves to help people in unfortunate circumstances. 

Thats the tip of the iceberg and a lot of people to consider. The criteria would have to be very strict to make such a medal feasible i.e. front line carers exposing themselves to high risk of infection. But then that would denigrate other essential persons who have placed themselves at high risk of infection for example cleaning staff, in hospitals. We need to see how this pans out in the long term, as it is just the beginning.

You may be right that like WW2 a series of medals needs to be considered dependent on role. Call me a cynic  but the one factor in the UK that will without a doubt influence any such decisions will be the role the military play in this. If they are deployed in significant numbers, then standby for medals to be issued. If not then other than recognising the acts of a few key individuals such as the usual bigwigs at the top,  or those that have sadly paid the ultimate sacrifice or placed themselves at immense risk is the more likely option.

Nick,  thought this might be of interest?

 

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/302613

 

 

 

 

Edited by bigjarofwasps

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/03/2020 at 10:43, Nick said:

 

The Irish Times 4th April 2020. 

 

 

 

The Irish Times 04.04.2020.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bigjarofwasps said:

As I indicated earlier, if you only give a tangible "thanks" to "frontline" workers it would be a complete slap in the face of all those who are risking their own health working in supermarkets, stores, trash removal etc etc or those who are going out of their way to assist others by doing the shopping for them etc. As someone who has served in the military and worked in an operating room for decades I knew that my jobs brought risks with them and thus needed way less gratitude for simply doing my job but a cashier in a supermarket or the cleaning staff of public buildings or health facilities do not get paid to put their lives and/or health on the line. These are the people that deserve a ton of credit and respect. I'm not saying that it isn't hard for health professionals right now as I have a lot of friends still working in OR's/ER's and ICU's and they are working their asses off... but they also know that they are getting tons of support and gratitude while a lot of people in stores still have to deal with aggression and disrespectful behavior. 

So you would have to make any type of medal available to all who are helping which seems like a unimaginable task. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The original paper (Seattle Times) link is broken and I am not having any luck searching for it.  I hope it was not pulled.  What did it say, basically?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Paul R said:

The original paper (Seattle Times) link is broken and I am not having any luck searching for it.  I hope it was not pulled.  What did it say, basically?

When this pandemic is done, our health-care workers and first responders are the one’s most deserving of the Medal of Freedom. This medal is awarded by the president of the United States for meritorious contribution to national security or national interests of the United States of America and for significant public endeavor.

They have all gone above and beyond the call of duty to serve our country and its citizens. God bless all of them, and those in training.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you Sir.  Maybe not the actual Medal of Freedom, but maybe create a subordinate level award for this purpose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, OvBacon said:

As I indicated earlier, if you only give a tangible "thanks" to "frontline" workers it would be a complete slap in the face of all those who are risking their own health working in supermarkets, stores, trash removal etc etc or those who are going out of their way to assist others by doing the shopping for them etc. As someone who has served in the military and worked in an operating room for decades I knew that my jobs brought risks with them and thus needed way less gratitude for simply doing my job but a cashier in a supermarket or the cleaning staff of public buildings or health facilities do not get paid to put their lives and/or health on the line. These are the people that deserve a ton of credit and respect. I'm not saying that it isn't hard for health professionals right now as I have a lot of friends still working in OR's/ER's and ICU's and they are working their asses off... but they also know that they are getting tons of support and gratitude while a lot of people in stores still have to deal with aggression and disrespectful behavior. 

So you would have to make any type of medal available to all who are helping which seems like a unimaginable task. 

 

I’m inclined to agree with you, would be a nice gesture, but logistically a nightmare which would invariably leave some disappointed.

 

However having said that will be interesting to see whether organisations like the military for example that issue medals regularly, get awarded anything?

 

 

6 minutes ago, Paul R said:

Thank you Sir.  Maybe not the actual Medal of Freedom, but maybe create a subordinate level award for this purpose.

I’m sure they’ll be something in the pipeline.


 

 

 

 

Winston Churchill noted that: "A medal glitters but it also casts a shadow". He was of course referring to the envy that the award of military honour can arouse in those who miss out. His observation remains as true today as it did in the two world wars of the last century.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just hope the military does not go the cheap route and authorize the generic "Armed Forces Medal" to everyone.  This is a once in a century event that deserves its own special medal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Paul R said:

I just hope the military does not go the cheap route and authorize the generic "Armed Forces Medal" to everyone.  This is a once in a century event that deserves its own special medal.

I agree!!! That would be a travesty!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And the article highlights the difficult issue of how do you determine who qualifies for such a medal. I am not saying there shouldn't be one,  but for example a campaign medal will be awarded for all those in operational theatre for the prescribed number of days. Doesn't matter you role, whether you are front line at most risk or in a support role, if you are there for the number of days required you qualify. When the conflict is on your home soil  there is no geographical boundary so days served is a bit of a mute point.

But as has been said already do you give it to only front line staff on COVID Wards/ ITU, paramedics or do you give it to all NHS staff regardless of role. Then there are the thousands of others all risking their health and lives to keep the country going care workers in private nursing homes, social workers, volunteers, key workers, police etc etc, There comes a point when there are so many deserving people where do you draw the line. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...