Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I was kinda looking through some footage from occupied netherlands during WWII and I found this photo and got really interested in the man standing jolly with the Germans behind Mussert (speaking and who was the leading Dutch collaborator of WWII) and who is proudly wearing his Grand Officer breast star of the Order of Orange-Nassau.

Now I'm kinda understanding that the germans kept their pre NAZI medals and awards but for a Dutch officer to proudly wear his medals that were awarded to him by a king/queen he has clearly denounced seemed odd to me.

So I was like who is this man and what awards/medals is he wearing while clearly supporting the NAZI occupation. 

 

 

 

Toespraak_Anton_Mussert.jpg

Here another image showing his breast star even better.

He's sending off the first Dutch SS soldiers to the eastern front... bet they stopped smiling once they got there ;/

undefined-984255145.jpg

So I clearly found out this man is Hendrik Alexander Seyffardt (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hendrik_Seyffardt).

Interesting to see how someone who has served his country his whole life and retired with full honors can then turn around and betray his country so explicitly.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a photo of him with all his awards/medals and so I was curious as to which he is wearing..

Seijffardt-Hendrik-2.png

Pretty much anything written about the man, including articles from right after the war, do not mention his orders/awards/medals...

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

So here I see a Knight of  the Order of the Netherlands Lion (The Netherlands),
Grand Officer of the Order of Orange-Nassau (The Netherlands), Officer's Long Service Cross (The Netherlands) and a Mobilization Cross 1914-1918 (The Netherlands)??

Beeldbank-WO2-NIOD-36963.jpg

Edited by OvBacon
Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Great Dane said:

I can identify the Danish Order of Dannebrog (Commander) and the Swedish Order of the Sword (Commander). The rest are a little blurry...

Thanks for that input

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Great Dane said:

Dannebrog Commander awarded 16. Nov. 1924.

Sword Commander awarded 1924.

Nice.... thanks

So we have 

? - Knight of  the Order of the Netherlands Lion (The Netherlands) 
   - Grand Officer of the Order of Orange-Nassau (The Netherlands)
   - Commander 2nd class in The Order of the Dannebrog (Denmark)
   - Commander 2nd class in The Order of the Sword (Sweden)
??- Officer's Long Service Cross (The Netherlands) 
??- Mobilization Cross 1914-1918 (The Netherlands) 
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Great Dane said:

Dannebrog Commander awarded 16. Nov. 1924.

Sword Commander awarded 1924.

He got the Sword commander 2nd class on 5 november 1924 to be precise. :)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

From the Dutch officers list of 1929. He was at the time Major General and commander of the 1st Division.

 

Knight in the Order of Orange-Nassau 

Officers Cross with numeral XXXV

Mobilisation cross  1914 - 1918

Commander 2nd class Sword Order of Sweden

Commander 2nd class Danebrog Order of Denmark

Officer Legion of Honor of France

Officer in the Order of the Crown of Belgium 

 

His rank and date of promotion:

2lt Artillery 21st July 1892

1Lt  19th November 1898

Captain  1st of May 1911

Major  1st of November 1920

Lieutenant Colonel 2nd of May 1924

Colonel 2nd of May 1926

Major General  2nd of May 1928

 

So after 1929 he gained his two highest Dutch orders.

 

Regards 

Herman 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If he survived WW2, which he did not, his Dutch orders would have been rescinded by Royal Decree.

This happened to several collaborators after the war. One retired general escaped this shame by committing suicide.

Seijffardt, if he had survived the war, would have been convicted in court, probably the death sentence.

Edited by Herman
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Herman said:

From the Dutch officers list of 1929. He was at the time Major General and commander of the 1st Division.

 

Knight in the Order of Orange-Nassau 

Officers Cross with numeral XXXV

Mobilisation cross  1914 - 1918

Commander 2nd class Sword Order of Sweden

Commander 2nd class Danebrog Order of Denmark

Officer Legion of Honor of France

Officer in the Order of the Crown of Belgium 

 

His rank and date of promotion:

2lt Artillery 21st July 1892

1Lt  19th November 1898

Captain  1st of May 1911

Major  1st of November 1920

Lieutenant Colonel 2nd of May 1924

Colonel 2nd of May 1926

Major General  2nd of May 1928

 

So after 1929 he gained his two highest Dutch orders.

 

Regards 

Herman 

It also looks like he might have been bumped up to "Grand Officer" of the Legion of Honour

I found this in a publication from 1938

Seyffardt Hendrik.jpg

1 hour ago, Herman said:

If he survived WW2, which he did not, his Dutch orders would have been rescinded by Royal Decree.

This happened to several collaborators after the war. One retired general escaped this shame by committing suicide.

Seijffardt, if he had survived the war, would have been convicted in court, probably the death sentence.

There is no doubt he would have been stripped and executed... 

I was really surprised that people who backed an invading force, and thus pretty much saying that the previous government and power structure was invalid, were still wearing the decorations of their denounced leaders.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, OvBacon said:

It also looks like he might have been bumped up to "Grand Officer" of the Legion of Honour 

Indeed that is the case.

I presume you deciphered the Dutch text, but to be complete:

 

Lieutenant General 2nd May 1930

Retired 1st May 1934.

 

Promoted in 1934 to Grandofficer in the Order of Orange-Nassau with the swords  (Military Division)

Knight in the Order of the Dutch Lion 

Numeral XL to the Officers Cross

Promoted to Grand Officer in the Legion Of Honor of France.

 

Best regards 

Herman 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Herman said:

Indeed that is the case.

I presume you deciphered the Dutch text, but to be complete:

 

Lieutenant General 2nd May 1930

Retired 1st May 1934.

 

Promoted in 1934 to Grandofficer in the Order of Orange-Nassau with the swords  (Military Division)

Knight in the Order of the Dutch Lion 

Numeral XL to the Officers Cross

Promoted to Grand Officer in the Legion Of Honor of France.

 

Best regards 

Herman 

Thank you Herman for all the additional info/research ......

I have the feeling I'll call on you more often for similar information, seems like you have some good literature on the subject.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Blog Comments

    • Lapsang Souchong, when i first tasted this I thought it was like stale cigarette ends...it's an acquired taste for sure.  
    • I like my tea strong enough for my spoon to stand up in. My father got me into it. When my father was at RAF Dum Dum 1943-47 most of his fellow officers drank ice cold drinks to mitigate  the heat, his Sikh batman warned him against it and said that strong hot tea would cool him down, most certainly did. So years later in the UK when everybody else was drinking iced drinks on a baking day the wood family was inbibing copious quantities of hot strong brews of Assam's finest. P
    • Hi ccj, Thanks for your comments. Funny how, for me at least, coffee has become a habit more than a conscience choice. It's the old, "Well if you having one (coffee) pour me as well". When I get together with my son-in-law, a former Brit, it's tea all the way. Thanks again. Regards Brian  
    • I live and grew up in the south (USA) and the drink of choice 7 days a week was cold sweet tea. I was unaware Lipton was British because that’s what most southern use for brewing tea. When I joined the army I learned most people in the north and western parts of the USA drank unsweetened tea and that was perplexing to my young brain. Now days I can’t stand sweet iced tea but it’s still the most common drink in the south, but, you can get unsweetened ice tea in the south. Im familiar with ho
    • I drink tea every day (Chinese tea), I used to buy Sri Lankan black tea at the fair before, it was great! I have been reluctant to drink them all. . The tea I’m talking about is just brewing water, not adding other substancesI
×
×
  • Create New...