News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Generaladjutant Weiland

Looking for a smooth English translation of Generaladjutant Weiland Sr. Majestaet
    The generals connected with Wilhelm I. and Friedrich III. continued appearing in the Ranglisten for several years after both Kaisers died in 1888.  
    Was their listing purely ceremonial, or did any of them have real function or influence within Wilhelm II.'s court???

Jon,

I tend to translate it as "formerly Generaladjutant to His Majesty".

The impression I have, is that listing was just a courtesy to honour the former holders of these prestigious posts.

Regards

Glenn

Hi  all,

whether the translation is "late" or "former"  depends on the position of the adverb in the phrase. 

1.) weiland Generaladjutant Sr. Majestät = früher/former

2.) Generaladjutant weiland Sr. Majestät = früheren / late

As Jonv states, that this phrase was used after the death of their resp. Emporers, you can, in this case,  savely translate as former Generaladjutant of his late Majesty.

Happy Easter,

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

General-Adjutant Weiland Seiner Majestaet des Kaisers und Koenigs Wilhelm I.

Many, many thanks!

I wasn't sure if weiland was modifying G-A or S.M. (?)
    Either way, to translate as -- former adjutant general of his late Majesty --
    seems to capture it ... although one of those would be implied in the German.

For some reason, the Rangliste stops including this information in 1909.

Weiland refers to his majesty, not to the Generaladjutant, who retained their rank and title whilst alive and would not be listed in any Ranglisten once they are dead. So adjudant general of his late majesty etc. is the correct translation.

Kind regards,

Sandro

Edited by GdC26