News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Just a quick question: the title of the first volume lets me to believe that there should not be any need for the majority of the other volumes. Why were not all odm for every officer published in the MWB?

David,

In the first book, you find only Prussian orders and who received them. In the second part, it's not complete at all. You can find more information about orders in books like Die Badener im Weltkriege. Same for Wurttemberg, Saxon. I have all of these books in my library.

Even in peacetime the MWB often failed to report all non-Prussian awards to Prussian officers. This was often the case for Reserve and Landwehr officers who received their awards in their peacetime capacity. During the war, the reporting of foreign awards stopped almost entirely and the reporting of other German state awards was limited to Bavaria, Saxony and Württemberg and even this fell off after a while. 

Bavaria and Württemberg continued to report awards through most of the war, and those lists have been published, but even these are missing many awards which were not gazetted in the Bavarian and Württemberg equivalents of the MWB. Saxony, like Prussia, stopped including foreign awards fairly quickly.

The reason why Bavaria stopped publishing all awards should be obvious from the picture below. These are the 1914, 1915/1, 1915/2, 1916/1, 1916/2 and 1917/1 volumes of the Verordnungsblatt des Königlich bayerischen Kriegsministeriums. The sheer number of Iron Cross awards, as well as the newer König-Ludwig-Kreuz for non-combat merit, made the second half of 1916 more than twice the length of the first half.

107819399_Bayer.Verordnungsblatt.jpg.bdec5fe09110408ab997ee99a0ee399e.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody

The research still goes on.

Now about Saxon orders

I have found for  :

- St Henry knight cross : 2739 names (Roth gave 2729 names)

- Merit Order knight cross 1st class with X : 435 names (Roth gave 416 names).

- Merit Order knight cross 2nd class with X : 1873 names (Roth gave 1833 names)

Christophe

• 2 weeks later...

Do you have a Schmidt  in your list, who get the St. Henry knight?

His rank should be: Oberleutnant or Hauptmann.

Yes, i know it is a very common name....