Hello, I'm pretty sure that the is a regimental  medal for the 2nd Nassau Infantry Regiment No. 88.  There is a date on the on the reverse in the center of the medal  that reads: “24. 1. 99” . I'm not sure if the two digit year "99" is referencing 1799 or 1899. I checked the date against the regiment history and could not find anything specific to that date.  Also on the reverse is inscribed around the medal is “LA BELLA ALLIANCE MESSA DE MEDELLIN” which I believe is some sort of reference to the regiments involvement at the Battle of Waterloo (1815) and the 1809 Battle of Medellín in Spain.  Does anyone know the significance of the "24 Jan 99" date or what this medal commemorates? 

Stay well,

John

Prussian 2nd Nassau Inf Regt No 88 Medal 1.jpg

Here is a larger image of the reverse.

Prussian 2nd Nassau Inf Regt No  88 2.jpg

That's an easy question to answer.  The 24th of January 1899 is the exact date when Kaiser Wilhelm II. awarded the 88th Infantry Regiment of Nassau its banderole. The banderole was displayed underneath its regimental coat-of-arms which of course is a rampant horse surrounded by a wreath. The Kaiser's awarding of the banderole acknowledged the regiment's commendable service in fighting the war against Napoleon at the battles mentioned on your medal in 1813 and 1815.  Simi.

Edited by Simius Rex
  • 4 months later...
On 30/04/2020 at 00:54, Simius Rex said:

The banderole was displayed underneath its regimental coat-of-arms which of course is a rampant horse surrounded by a wreath. (...) battles mentioned on your medal in 1813 and 1815.  Simi.

I am afraid there is some sort of confusion:

- Prussian regiments did not have individual coat of arms but would all display the Prussian eagle on their helmets.
- Even pre-1866 Nassovian troops did not have a horse but a lion on their shakos. Maybe you are referring to Hannover?
- None of the battles took place in 1813.

The question asked by the starter of the topic was anwered quckly and accurately.  24 January 1899 was the date that the Kaiser awarded the Prussian 2nd Nassau Infantry Regiment No. 88 its banderole.

But for the hair splitters here, this banderole was draped around the eagle's neck.  I was thinking about Hannover and its rampant horse.  Both Nassau and Hannover were absorbed by Prussia in 1866 for siding with Austria and essentially ceased to exist as independent states, so it's easy to confuse two entities that simultaneously became geopolitically irrelevant in the same year and for the same reason.  

The battle-dates of 1809 and 1815 were clearly stated in Post #1, but  I wrote 1813 instead of 1809 by mistake, which most reasonably intelligent readers here probably figured-out without any problem.

Edited by Simius Rex