News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Anatomy of a General’s Kepi

Glenn J

Hello chaps,

I would be most grateful for a serviceable translation regarding the Kepi of French general officers.

the golden braid which edges the upper edge of the cap band is referred to in the 1935 dress regulations as a “une baguette droite de 5mm”.  A “straight rod” or “wand” does not seem particularly helpful. I was thinking perhaps along the lines of a “beaded trim” or such like. Perhaps one of our French speaking gentlemen can please assist.

many thanks 

Glenn

Hi,

thank you for your reply.

I think we may be at cross purposes. I am referring to the line of braid above the oak leaves on the black cap band (bandeau). This model 1931 kepi is from the Bertrand Malvaux site.

Regards

Glenn

GdC.jpg.d88bf87632f73f1bdb74422b351d9c35.jpg

Glen , The French kepi pour General model 1931 was of madder red fine cloth with a black cloth band . on the band it carried a braided motif of oak leaves and acorns in gold . this motif was of a width of 56 mm for General de Brigade and was placed centrally on the black band all around .on the upper part of the band where it mets with the red upper one ,are fixed from down to over the following ornaments 1 the famous baguette of a gold cannetille wire that holds gold sequins . then a gold cord of 3.25 mm width sewed all around an finally a gold cord of 15mm width . In the joint of the band and the peak was sewed a soutache of gold Russia braid of 5mm width . The kepi for General de Division carried the same  baguette and cords but instead of the 56mm braid carried two ,one the upper of 15mm width and another lower of 12mm width , The Marechal de France  kepi carried three rows of braid ,one of 15mm and two of 12mm .The description i had made ifs for Combattant Generals , the kepis of the other classes of Generals were different . that of Medical Generals for example was madder red but the band was crimson velvet and the embroidered motif was of Acanthus leaves in gold . 

guys,

many thanks to you both. I think a straight line or stripe of cannetille braid with gold sequins covers it. It should be noticed for completeness, that those generals of division with the function (rank and title) of a general commanding an army corps or those who were members of the superior war council wore an additional 3mm wide silver braid (soutache) above the "baguette".

Regards

Glenn

Glen J :  Thats right .  In my precedent post  I dont mentioned that for no made too long the post . Another Generals Kepi was that of the Veterinarian General . the  same as that of the Doctor but wiith a braid of Sage leaves . finally the green kepi of the General Postmaster carried a braid of miosotys flowers and leaves .