23 hours ago, GdC26 said:

Very interesting post Simi, thanks for this.

Thank you, Sandro.  I also find it very interesting when I see something I have never seen before.  Have you ever seen the unusual rank-device on the gendarm's collar tabs above??  I will continue trying to find-out exactly what a laurel leaf with berries on an NCO's braided parolin represents, but maybe somebody here knows what it is.  I am speculating, that since the portrait was taken in Máramaros, Transylvania, and that there existed a Transylvanian Gendarmerie Division of the Royal Hungarian Gendarmerie, that MAYBE this gendarm was a member of that unit.  This is, of course, only speculation.  Simi.   

Edited by Simius Rex
2 hours ago, Simius Rex said:

Thank you, Sandro.  I also find it very interesting when I see something I have never seen before.  Have you ever seen the unusual rank-device on the gendarm's collar tabs above??  I will continue trying to find-out exactly what a laurel leaf with berries with on an NCO's braided parolin represents, but maybe somebody here knows what it is.  I am speculating, that since the portrait was taken in Máramaros, Transylvania, and that there existed a Transylvanian Gendarmerie Division of the Royal Hungarian Gendarmerie, that MAYBE this gendarm was a member of that unit.  This is, of course, only speculation.  Simi.   

Pleasure Simi. Like you, I've never seen it - but if time permits this weekend I'll take out the books and if I find anything I'll share it here. Sandro

Posted (edited)

15 hours ago, Simius Rex said:

I don't know where you are finding all these nice portraits, but most of these guys (or maybe even all of them) look Hungarian !!

I work in a museum, i also teach history, but obviously austro-Hungarian uniforms is not my speciality. I recently developed a interest in ww1 uniforms and this site helped me a lot. Can you suggest some serios books on this subject?

Edited by Pralea

You can start by book-marking some good websites you can use as "quick" reference resources.  Here are examples of only 2 such websites:

http://www.mlorenz.at/Bewaffnete_Macht/Uniformen.htm

http://www.austro-hungarian-army.co.uk/index.htm

Since you are in Romania, you will probably encounter a lot of Hungarian material, so if you need to see regimental photo albums, here are just 2 examples of websites featuring such albums:

https://adtplus.arcanum.hu/hu/collection/MEVH_AlakulatTort/

http://www.magyarezredek.hu/hadtori-leaflet/contents/photo-albums.jsp

You could watch this short video to get a good overview on this subject:

You may need to look-up names of military officers who served during the war, so here is a website that features these ranklists:

https://library.hungaricana.hu/en/collection/austrian_state_archives_RanglistenHeeres/ 

Finally, if you would like to purchase some books for the museum you work for, here are some good books you could order:

https://www.google.com/search?q=BOOK%3A+austro+hungarian+army+uniforms&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwizk-HBlebqAhVFsFMKHbSQDq8Q2-cCegQIABAA&oq=BOOK%3A+austro+hungarian+army+uniforms&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQA1DpigFY6JgBYPefAWgAcAB4AIABVIgBmAOSAQE2mAEAoAEBqgELZ3dzLXdpei1pbWfAAQE&sclient=img&ei=afkaX_O6F8XgzgK0obr4Cg&bih=631&biw=1280&rlz=1C5CHFA_enUS777US777 

Edited by Simius Rex
  • 3 months later...

I want to follow-up on the strange collar-device that looks like an oak leaf with acorns as seen on the Hungarian Gendarm's collar tabs.

I was perusing a Hungarian auction site and saw 2 sew-on devices for sale as "Unknown Badges" which are identical to the devices seen on the photo below.  They are made of stamped sheet-metal.  One appears to be silvered and the other is gilt.

I have yet to find these devices in any reference books, but I suspect they are so obscure and rare, they are not known to most KuK collectors.  However, based on the fact that the gendarme was photographed in Maramaros Transylvania, I would strongly suspect this was a device used by the Erdelyi Csendor Division of the Magyar Kiralyi Csendorseg.   

One could further speculate that, since the devices are oak leaves with acorns, there may have been a forestry branch of the Gendarmerie I have never heard about, (but that doesn't mean it didn't exist.) 

Does anybody have any knowledge about a Forestry Service of the Gendarmerie?  There are certainly plenty of large forests in Transylvania.

Paroli Detail.jpg

Rangabzeichen.jpg

Rangabzeichen II.jpg

Rangabzeichen III.jpg

Edited by Simius Rex

Simius , In the Hungarian Kingdom and it includes Transylvania until 1918 the oakleaf with acorns was the collar badge of Foresters either State ones or those of the private properties . Noble or not Landowners or in some cases villages or towns who owned Forests . the most common were the silver or silvered oakleafs .

Bayern, the uniform under discussion has the oak leaves (pictured above) mounted on NCO-braid. The man wears a black felt Hungarian Gendarmerie hat, has a "dangling-balls" lanyard, carries a M1890 gendarmerie carbine, and is equiped with a M1895 Hungarian Gendarmerie bayonet.  This bayonet was issued exclusively to the Hungarian Gendarmerie and was used by them untill 1944. 

So if this man is a Förster, what is he doing dressed-up in gendarmerie attire carrying gendarmerie weapons?  Simi. 

14230-MMSM.thumb.jpg.293ec1b44f1baa6d34fb48bf5c754bfa.jpg

Edited by Simius Rex