News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unknown regimental cap badge

I'm trying to identify the police force that the officer in the centre of the photo was a member of.  Despite an unusual fluted spike finial on the helmet and what looks like a quartrefoil surmounted by an inverted chevron on the epaulette, I am struggling.

The picture is from a damaged postcard c.1915-1918 with a soldier on either side.  The cap badge on the right is indistinguishable, but the one on the left looks unusual.  Can I ask please if anyone can identify the regiment the soldier on the left was from?  It might help to narrow down the area where the police officer was from.  Thanks for reading.

John Fox uniform question 3 PS enhanced crop.jpg

1 hour ago, NormanW said:

I'm trying to identify the police force that the officer in the centre of the photo was a member of.  Despite an unusual fluted spike finial on the helmet and what looks like a quartrefoil surmounted by an inverted chevron on the epaulette, I am struggling.

The picture is from a damaged postcard c.1915-1918 with a soldier on either side.  The cap badge on the right is indistinguishable, but the one on the left looks unusual.  Can I ask please if anyone can identify the regiment the soldier on the left was from?  It might help to narrow down the area where the police officer was from.  Thanks for reading.

John Fox uniform question 3 PS enhanced crop.jpg

The badges on this photo appear to have been deliberately obliterated so as to ensure that they cannot be identified. There is no definition or detail on the police helmet badge. The badge on the policeman's shoulder is a King's Crown. However, some effort has been expended to ensure that (for whatever reason) it can't be clearly identified as such. I wonder why?

Edited by Dave Wilkinson

the medals worn by the " Constable " are  Met/City of London 1887 jubilee with 1897 clasp, 1902  and 1911 Coronation medals. The helmet, badge and uniform are not from either Force and my best guess would be photographic or theatrical studio props.

PS, the cap badge on left is Royal Artillery and that on right appears to be Army Service corps but very blurred, neither badge are local to a particular area.

Thanks for your replies..  I hadn't considered that the badges could have been deliberately blurred.

I knew that the Victoria jubilee medals were only issued to the Met and City forces, but the collar number doesn't have a divisional letter.  The shoulder badge I had thought was an inverted chevron over an quadrafoil.  I don't see it as a crown.  No constables wore crowns.

It gets more interesting....

The policeman has been "repaired", but still no detail...

Repaired image.jpg

Hi Norman,

A number of Police Forces wore a crown on the epaulette including Wallasey Borough, attached a photograph of Sgt 12 Michael McDonough ( Later a Superintendent and Deputy Ch. Constable of Wallasey) He sports his Sgts stripes and WWI medals and of course his epaulette Crown..

Wallasey.jpg

"Thanks for your replies..  I hadn't considered that the badges could have been deliberately blurred."

If the caps were in fact photographer's props, the photographer may have blurred the badges to avoid annoying anyone from the regiments to which the badges belonged.  Just a thought.

Peter

I was wondering if the postcard had any text on it that might clarify a little more and as there is an image of the "police" officer in full it would be nice to see the whole photo instead of pieces. 

From the card I would think about props as the background seems very theatrical. 

I think Deelibob made some good observations and that in combination with the background tells a story.

So if there is a full photo of this scene it would be good to see and in general it is good to have as much info as possible when asking people for help identifying something. 

Thanks to everyone who replied.  I've now got more information which has identified the officer.

Photo is of Eli White who served 32 years with the Metropolitan Police, 1880 - 1912, mainly at Harrow.  The medals are genuine and his, 1887 Jubilee with 1897 clasp, 1902  and 1911 Coronation medals.  

The photo was taken after he retired and the uniform is a prop from the photographers wardrobe.  The helmet badge has been deliberately obliterated.

John Fox uniform question 3.jpg