ATJcostumer

Tassel Identification assistance

Hello,  I am new to this Forum and am writing from the USA.  I own a 150 year old theatrical costumer and we have a large stock of vintage clothing and uniforms ... we recently discovered these Silver, red, and black tassels ... and have no real means of identification.  The tassels are approximately 21" from top of tape to bottom of tassel ... tassel alone is 11 1/2".   I'm not sure if they are American or not.   I'm posting images here, with the hope that someone will recognize them and help me to categorize them !!  

Thanks in advance,

Rick

100_4779.JPG

100_4780.JPG

100_4781.JPG

Posted (edited)

Hey Rick.  No wonder you didn't get any replies on your item.  This is definitely not American.  These appear to be the removed tassel ends of a German parade sash from the Kaiserreich era.  Judging by the two colors present (red and black) I would say this belonged to an officer from the Wuerttemberg Army.  Unfortunately, the rest of the sash... the belt portion... is missing, unless of course you have it stashed away somewhere in your costume inventory.  I looked up the term in German and the entire unit (belt and tassels) is officially called a Paradescharpe with two dots over the last "a".  You may want to ask a mod here to move this over to the German uniform forum.  Simi. 

Edited by Simius Rex
spelling error

Thanks so much!  I sort of guessed I was barking up the wrong tree. I  have three sets of these tassels with no belts! We have had them for well over 60 years.  I really appreciate your help. Rick

Posted (edited)

Glad I could be of help, Rick.  I would like to mention that there are quite a few collectors who are always looking for authentic pieces/parts to restore items in their collections.  If you are not using these tassels, I am sure there may be people out there who could use them for restoring their Wuerttemberg parade sashes. Simi. 

Edited by Simius Rex

Again thanks so much. Unfortunately, like so many others, my business (opera costumes) has been shut down by the pandemic.So I am going through all my old stock and trying to realize some capital. I seem to have a number of late 19th century  uniforms which I am trying to get a handle on in order to sell them. Unfortunately,all the civil war stock was sold back in the 1960's by the previous owner !  My father , who bought the business in 1972, and has work here since 1950 , always refused to sell any of the old stock. I am not really a uniform guy, but I have been around them my whole life. I am starting to put some things on ebay , but I really need to know what I am doing. Luckily, I have met some wonderful collectors , like you, on line, who have helped me identify things in order to sell them. I appreciate your help any advice .

Rick