News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Polish - Order of Polonia Restitutia

Guest Darrell

Guest Darrell

Inside Award Booklet. I wonder if Rick knows anything about this guy or the late award date? :food-smiley-004:

Guest Darrell

Interesting award book. i wonder what the number sequences mean? Is the middle # the year?

I have no idea .. RICK !!!! tongue.gif

Guest Rick Research

Nope-- me neither! All I have had come into my paws are award documents for the WW2 Polish Communist regime campaign medals to Soviet generals.

Usually what shows up are the three Merit Crosses... I haven't seen a Polonia Restituta in ages.

Guest Darrell

Nope-- me neither! All I have had come into my paws are award documents for the WW2 Polish Communist regime campaign medals to Soviet generals.

Usually what shows up are the three Merit Crosses... I haven't seen a Polonia Restituta in ages.

Hey no problem.

Was this award for deeds in WW2? Or was it used in modern times? Interesting that he was awarded the medal in 1979. ohmy.gif

I think deeds in WW2, these were given out to all in sundry as recognition.

A beautiful looking award, and 1979 or not it's boxed and you have the history I love it !!

This the 1918 one, more modern in era I'd say too.

Polnia Restituta means Poland Restored. It came in fives classes:

Grand Cross

Commander with Star

Commander

Officer

And Knight

We all have the Knight Order, it was instituted in Febuary 1921 and renewed in 1944.

It was awarded to services rendered to Poland, art, culture, economy, defence and bravery.

Guest Darrell

Nice Marcus. Interesting. WW1.

Just curious if the dates on the reverse mean the award date? Or just the date of manufacture?

Funny that 1944 is chosen as a date for the first two examples. You'd think 1945 would be a more applicable date for WW2 service?

Guest Darrell

Nice Marcus. Interesting. WW1.

Just curious if the dates on the reverse mean the award date? Or just the date of manufacture?

Funny that 1944 is chosen as a date for the first two examples. You'd think 1945 would be a more applicable date for WW2 service?

OOOps posted same time as Marcus. I guess what you say .. the medal institution date of 1944 doesnt really mean that the awards were necessarily WW2 related. It may also determine why award was 1979 ... in this case maybe this guy did something related to these areas you quote in the late 1970's??

Edited by Darrell

Well you never know, because there were many of these issued to the Polish Veteran's post war, they had the fourth largest exile army during the war, and most guys never were awarded their medals (so I'm told)

Yours could be a 40th Anni bestowal to a Vet.......very likely in fact I'd imagine.

Kr

Marcus

• 1 year later...

OOOps posted same time as Marcus. I guess what you say .. the medal institution date of 1944 doesnt really mean that the awards were necessarily WW2 related. It may also determine why award was 1979 ... in this case maybe this guy did something related to these areas you quote in the late 1970's??

1944 was the date dat the Polish Peoples Republic was founded. Its communist regime reinstituted the award as being an award of their own.

Guest Darrell

1944 was the date dat the Polish Peoples Republic was founded. Its communist regime reinstituted the award as being an award of their own.

Thanks Erik. That makes sense :beer:

• 1 year later...
    Guest Rick Research

Well, on May 20, 2005 me say "I haven't seen a Polonia Restituta in ages" and today I saw two and brought this one home with me:

The other one looked like Darrell's and Andy's-- very flashy "glitzy" gold, and had FLAT enamel. Mine above has domed white enamel, a plain supension ring (no wreath imprint on it) and a very pronounced "3-D" effect in the center enamel:

I've been looking for one of these Lublin puppet government ones for years, since it turns up in so many WW2 Soviet groups.

One more Wish List :love: request self-granted. :catjava::rolleyes:

Re post no. 20 (can't post as a reply on this machine) - the communist regime would'nt have been inclined to make a lot of awards to veterans of the Polish army in exile & I would imagine that the veterans would have be disinclined to accept them.

The Polish President-in-Exile was the Grand Master of the Order & awards continued during WWII, the awards being commissioned from Spink & Son and in December 1942. During the war the lower classes rather than higher were awarded.

In 1944 the Polish National Liberation Committee instituted the "1944 version" of the Order, which continued to be awarded by the communist regime until 1990 when the president of the government in exile "handed over" to Lech Walenska & the "1918 version" continued in use.