News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Polish - Order of Polonia Restitutia

Guest Darrell

• 5 years later...

Concerning the award booklet numbering (since I kinda lost track of all the other questions)

The first sequence (242) is possibly a protocol number or a region/city number - tbh I have forgotten to ask in Poland ? 

The next sequence (79) defines the award year 1979. This rarely f.... up, but it happens. This doesn't really add up to rarity, but when the middle number doesn't correspond with the award year, it becomes a bit more interesting for document collectors.

The final sequence (45) will normally define how many were awarded this year so far - in this case 45. To confuse things a bit, some orders have reversed the first and third sequence. But in this case I'm fairly certain that it was number 45 in 1979 awarded possibly in a region/city coded 242.

As stated in some previous comments the Communist (PRL) version of Polonia Restituta had the reverse year 1944 and an uncrowned eagle (with a few rare exceptions). The order was awarded for everything valuable: like 30 years service in public offices and armed forces; "retirement-award"; exceptional merit for the state in the fields of education, culture etc etc.

From 1944-1989 a total of 614.021 crosses (5th class as depicted above) were awarded. Especially during the years of 1971-80 and 1981-89 the order was massively awarded: 1971-80: 260.624 awards. 1981-89: 277.932 awards.

If you have further questions, please ask ? I'm tracking this thread now.

Best regards Aahauge