News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi,

I have been collecting photos of Johanniterorden for a short while and recently secured the attached photo.  I thought I new who it might be, but I was wrong. Can someone put a name to my Johanniterorden Rechtsritter please.

Johanniterorden Rechtsritter.jpg

5 hours ago, JapanX said:

By unique combination of awards of course.

Many years' experience in cross-analysis of rank lists ;) 

This again might sound stupid but this explanation sounds to simple.... so who ever figured it out has all the names just in his/her head? So what do those many years do? Do people have data bases with names that correlate to awards, ranks, units? I was probably asking an ignorant question but I really am interested in a real answer. 

Glenn can answer for himself but I think that JapanX has put his finger on the answer.

If you are fairly new to all this, you might not be aware that, during the period we are talking about, each of the states making up 'Germany' compiled lists of their officers, broken down into units, with one of the pieces of data shown against each name being their awards. These are the rank lists. There are people round here who know their way round these rank lists backwards and can very quickly search for any given combination of awards to narrow down a particular combination to a name or groups of names.

I should add that, if you recognise the unit from the uniform the subject is wearing, it means that you can go straight to the rank list for that unit, which in turn cuts down the time required to search.

That is not to say, of course, that Glenn doesn't have a photographic memory and never forgets a face :)

Edited by Trooper_D

On 22/05/2020 at 09:10, Ian said:

Hi,

I have been collecting photos of Johanniterorden for a short while and recently secured the attached photo.  I thought I new who it might be, but I was wrong. Can someone put a name to my Johanniterorden Rechtsritter please.

Johanniterorden Rechtsritter.jpg

So howis he rechtsritter and not an ehrenritter?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi GdC26, 
    Yes thanks - it mentions 4 years service as Enhrenritter before being entitled to become a Rechtsritter. If Ian doesn't mind my hijacking his thread, I am going to post a rather grainy photo of an aviator who is wearing the Johanniter orden. Unfortunately I don't know his name, but as it's an uncommon award I am hoping that he can be identified. The man is probably from FFA 19. 

FFA 19 (2) maybe.jpg

Edited by Mattyboy

Mattyboy,

You are not hijacking my thread, after all this is about sharing knowledge and us all learning something new...go for it the more the merrier.

Cheers,

Ian

Hi Ian, 

Thanks a lot, it's appreciated. Just to add to my earlier post, below are the only recipients that I'm aware of:- 

Ascheberg, Percy Baron von (circa 1924-27) 

Beroldingen, Egon Graf von (circa 1915-1918) 

Blomberg, Karl-August von 

Boenigk, Oskar Freiherr von (circa 1933-34) 

Brandt gen. Flender, Fritz von (on 16th July 1915) 

Kettler, Maximilian Frhr von (circa 1920-27)

Edited by Mattyboy