I got this nice 5 place medal bar to a south african, who served in africa and Italy.

I know, that the records are not available online but is anyone able to give some basic information about the designation on the medals: 21723 N. P. Williamson ?

According to my information, the numeral "8" was just worn on the ribbon bar and the clasp on the fullsized medal. In this case, there´s no clasp and

just the number on the Africa Star, I guess not everyone strictly adhered to the rules!?

Medalbar South Africa.jpg

Medalbar South Africa reverse.jpg

You are correct the Africa star should have an 8th Army Clasp and the numeral be on his ribbon bar.

I have just myself become aware that lots of South African medals have a prefix, of which a few are:

C-Cape Corps

M-Indian & Malay Corps

N-Native Military Corps

These 3 groups relating to coloured recipients.

F-Women's Auxiliary Air Force

W-Women's Auxiliary Army Service

These 2 obviously to women.

I believe you can presume your recipient was a white South African and if you would like research Dewald Nel who is based in South Africa provides a service (when lockdown ends). dewald@nelantiques.co.za 

Thanks for the information! What does abbrevation N. P. stand for?

Those are most likely his initials.

Posted (edited)

I was going to say I hadn't come across that combination and ask for an image, but Marcon1 appears to have answered correctly in relation to the opening image that they are his initials.

The prefix I have mentioned would come in front of the number eg F123456 would be awarded to someone in   SAWAAF 

Edited by Shots Dave
clarification

His name name such as Nathan Peter. Nice group.

P