Royal Flying Corps wings - Original or copy?

Good evening Gentlemen,

The increasing interest into WW1 stuff and RFC in particular makes prices soar dramatically in this domain.

Loads of "original-looking-or-declared-so" copies are therefore flooding the market.

Hence my question: "What about these RFC wings?" "Original or fake"?

Jean-Sam.16229536_GBRFCwingsFront(2).jpg.f1d1f98cd9e6fafeede6129d3321205c.jpg 1902188479_GBRFCwingsBack(2).jpg.c233a98af0b3d4a48bc7b5cbf019e69a.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mike,

I have attached a pic of the reverse of 2 WW1 RFC/RAF wings that I known are genuine and period.

Both came directly from the families 

The backing cloth is a good help as it must almost impossible for the fakers to get 

One is fine gauge linen the other fine gauge twill (diagonal weave)

IMG_7702.jpeg

4 hours ago, steelbonnet said:

Hi Mike,

I have attached a pic of the reverse of 2 WW1 RFC/RAF wings that I known are genuine and period.

Both came directly from the families 

The backing cloth is a good help as it must almost impossible for the fakers to get 

One is fine gauge linen the other fine gauge twill (diagonal weave)

IMG_7702.jpeg

Hi, I'm assuming the lower (black) backing is Raf, not RFC, is so then that would fit in with what I would expect based on what I have, the one posted by jean-sam has a ww2 look about the shape which would suggest modernist manufacture for rfc/raf just change the initials in my opinion, added ww2 new Zealand wings, only ones I have access to at the moment

IMG_20200627_190627.jpg

IMG_20200627_190655.jpg

Edited by Alex K
Za

• 4 months later...

Hello again,

I have found something interesting on Bosleys' BuyWyse pages (see below), plus an interesting explanation about these RFC wings made during WW2 in Osprey's Men-at-arms series n° 112 ''British Battledress 1937-61'', plate A3, page 30.

image.thumb.png.04f713129ba92f0f7da397fc51aad3c4.png

GB RFC RAF Osprey A3-30.jpg

GB RFC RAF Osprey A.jpg