j-sk

Royal Flying Corps wings - Original or copy?

Good evening Gentlemen,

The increasing interest into WW1 stuff and RFC in particular makes prices soar dramatically in this domain.

Loads of "original-looking-or-declared-so" copies are therefore flooding the market.

Hence my question: "What about these RFC wings?" "Original or fake"?

Jean-Sam.16229536_GBRFCwingsFront(2).jpg.f1d1f98cd9e6fafeede6129d3321205c.jpg 1902188479_GBRFCwingsBack(2).jpg.c233a98af0b3d4a48bc7b5cbf019e69a.jpg

Hi I personally have my doubts, I don't like the modern looking iron on style reverse backing, others may want to chip in though

regards

Alex

I agree with Alex, just does not feel good to me...….   Mike

Hi Mike,

I have attached a pic of the reverse of 2 WW1 RFC/RAF wings that I known are genuine and period.

Both came directly from the families 

The backing cloth is a good help as it must almost impossible for the fakers to get 

One is fine gauge linen the other fine gauge twill (diagonal weave)

IMG_7702.jpeg

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, steelbonnet said:

Hi Mike,

I have attached a pic of the reverse of 2 WW1 RFC/RAF wings that I known are genuine and period.

Both came directly from the families 

The backing cloth is a good help as it must almost impossible for the fakers to get 

One is fine gauge linen the other fine gauge twill (diagonal weave)

IMG_7702.jpeg

Hi, I'm assuming the lower (black) backing is Raf, not RFC, is so then that would fit in with what I would expect based on what I have, the one posted by jean-sam has a ww2 look about the shape which would suggest modernist manufacture for rfc/raf just change the initials in my opinion, added ww2 new Zealand wings, only ones I have access to at the moment

IMG_20200627_190627.jpg

IMG_20200627_190655.jpg

Edited by Alex K
Za