JackCR

Unknown Egyptian? Medal In Lattes Case

Good morning all, 

I have in my possession a rather attractive medal which I am struggling to find any information about and I was wondering if any of the knowledgeable folks here could shed any light on it.

I think the medal is probably Egyptian (although I could well be wrong) as it shares some characteristics with the Khedive's Sudan medal in terms of the 3 crescent moons, and it is housed in a J.Lattes case from Cairo.

If my translation of the Arabic numerals are correct the medal is dated 1902 (1320), although there also appears to be the date 1889 (1307) on the bar above. The edge is plain. 

Any information would be greatly appreciated, as would any pointers of where to look for more information. 

Many thanks in advance. 

Jack

STA_0052_opt.jpg

STB_0051_opt.jpg

Jack,

As Graham has noted this is the Medal for Meritorious Acts 2nd Class (30.5mm) – reverse inscription “Medal for Meritorious Acts – King of Egypt – The most useful of you is the best”. The inscription on the obverse suspension bar is the date the medal was awarded (?? Shawal ?? 1357  Hijra  = 1938/9 AD - early years of King Farouk) - and the inscription on the lower part of the reverse is the name of the recipient however the detail of the images is insufficient for me to read these inscriptions clearly.

Regards,

Owain

Graham & Owain, 

Thank you both for taking the time to reply, it is genuinely appreciated. I see that I got my dating wrong with makes a lot of sense as the way I was reading it would have meant the 'awarded' date was before the date on the medal!

After a cursory glance of the internet there does not appear to me much information on the award, apart from the basics, so maybe a confirmed recipient might help.

Owain, if I were to upload some clearer images of the inscription, do you think you would have a chance at reading and translating it?

Regards, 

Jack

Jack,

This was one of a series of 3 medals, each in three classes of gold, silver and bronze, instituted by King Fouad in 1923:

• Medal of Meritorious Acts
  • Medal of Devotion
  • Medal of Benevolence

From my experience these appear to have been awarded to to Royal Court /Household staff - perhaps a bit like the British Royal Victorian Medal or Royal Long & Faithful Service Medal. I attach pictures of a named pair I acquired some years ago. Sadly I am unaware of any records which could be referred to to further identify the recipient. The medal were supposed to be awarded engraved with the name of the recipient and also the date but most of the medals I have seen are not named.

I also attach a picture of a gold Medal of Benevolence - sold some years ago at a Schulman auction and a silver example.

Please post detailed images and I will try and read the details.

Regards,

Owain

A Named Pair of Royal Household Medals

Medal for Meritorious Acts 2nd Class Suspension bar engraved “28 Shawal Year 1357” (corresponding to 12 October 1938) - reverse engraved “E. Geronimax” and a Medal of Duty 3rd Class – suspension bar “Emmanuel Geronimax”

Egypt Household Pair Obverse.jpg

Egypt Household Pair Reverse.jpg

Egypt Fuad Grace & Favour Gold Schulman.jpg

Egypt Fouad Medal..jpg

Hi Owain, 

Thank you for the additional information and the images ... that gold version is most attractive, it appears to have an almost matt like finish?

Please find attached an additional image showing the engraving. Any naming that could add to the history of the medal would be greatly appreciated. 

Kind regards, 

Jack

STA_0196.JPG

Jack,

Thanks for the higher resolution image. To my eye it appears to read:

1 Sha'abaan 1357 (25 September 1938) Almstr F. W. Kng (The Mister F. W. King)

Thus it would appear that the recipient is a British national??? Of course I may have totally misread the Arabic.

Regards,

Owain

Hi Owain, 

That is most impressive and much appreciated, thank you. 

It would seem to be a British national by the name. I will do a bit of searching (not quite sure where yet) and see what I can find!

Thanks again. 

Regards, 

Jack