News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Request of information about Oberleutnant Urtel Personenkraftwagenpark-Führer in Metz (1915)

Dear Forumites,

I recently acquired a very nice Reserve's Pickelhaube with black eagle star and without Vaterlandsbandeau for Garde Kraftfahr-Bataillon (like also Garde-Pionier-Bataillon) of a subaltern officer apparently named Urtel (see inside the leather sweatband). It's a really nice untouched helmet in almost unused conditions.

Since this surname "URTEL" is rather uncommon in Germany, maybe the research on this officer could be easier I thought.

An entry of this officer can be found also in the Rangliste of 1913 on page 796. I also just found that a German auction house sold a document group of a driver with a signed original signature in his Militär-Führerschein of this elusive officer, then in 1915 commanding officer of Personenkraftwagenpark in Metz (back then still under German Empire in the Lorraine), see also picture of the group.

Can somebody add anything interesting to this officer, like date of birth and death, first name/s and his later career if he had any?

Thank you very much in advance for your most appreciated inputs and comments.

Claudio

IMG_2839.jpg

IMG_2840.jpg

IMG_2841.jpg

IMG_2842.jpg

IMG_2843.jpg

IMG_2844.jpg

IMG_2845.jpg

IMG_2846.jpg

IMG_2847.jpg

IMG_2850.jpg

Urtel Parkführer in Metz 1915.jpeg

Claudio,

That is a beautiful Pickelhaube!!  Here is some information regarding its owner.

Andy

Rudolf Urtel  (06.08.1875-??)

The 1941 Berlin Adreßbuch shows him as an Ingenieur living in Lichterfelde at Salzunger Pfad 11

22.03.15  Hptm. b. Personenkraftwagen Park d. Festung Metz

27.01.08-1914    Leutn./Oberlt. d.R. d. Kraftfahr B.

[1908  Reserve Dienstaltersliste shows his profession as Ober Ingenieur in Berlin-Friedenau]

27.01.04-27.01.08  Leutn. d. Res. d. IR 94

all commissions were Reserve commissions

Hptm.   22-03-15

Oberlt.  18-02-13

Leutn.   27-01-04

Edited by arb

He was the father of television pioneer Dr.-Ing. Rudolf Urtel. According to the younger Urtel's biography here, Urtel "mußte durch den frühen Tod seines Vaters sein Jura-Studium abbrechen und nahm 1928 eine Stelle im Telefunken-Röhrenvertrieb an". I can't find a date of death for the elder Urtel, but this indicates it was around 1928.

6 hours ago, arb said:

Claudio,

That is a beautiful Pickelhaube!!  Here is some information regarding its owner.

Andy

Rudolf Urtel  (06.08.1875-??)

The 1941 Berlin Adreßbuch shows him as an Ingenieur living in Lichterfelde at Salzunger Pfad 11

22.03.15  Hptm. b. Personenkraftwagen Park d. Festung Metz

27.01.08-1914    Leutn./Oberlt. d.R. d. Kraftfahr B.

[1908  Reserve Dienstaltersliste shows his profession as Ober Ingenieur in Berlin-Friedenau]

27.01.04-27.01.08  Leutn. d. Res. d. IR 94

all commissions were Reserve commissions

Hptm.   22-03-15

Oberlt.  18-02-13

Leutn.   27-01-04

Thanks a lot Andy! You made my  day... ????

6 hours ago, Dave Danner said:

He was the father of television pioneer Dr.-Ing. Rudolf Urtel. According to the younger Urtel's biography here, Urtel "mußte durch den frühen Tod seines Vaters sein Jura-Studium abbrechen und nahm 1928 eine Stelle im Telefunken-Röhrenvertrieb an". I can't find a date of death for the elder Urtel, but this indicates it was around 1928.

Yes, indeed interesting... I saw him googling on the net. I thought he might have be his son and now we are... ?????? There’s an Award entitled to his name, too! 

Der Preis dient der Förderung exzellenter Leistungen dieser Nachwuchskräfte auf den Gebieten Fernsehen, Film und elektronische Medien.” 

2 hours ago, VtwinVince said:

Great Haube, and interesting history indeed. So now you're into headgear, Claudio?

Yeah, it seems so... ? too much competition with named groups and medal bars. Besides German Imperial helmets have been always interesting for me... 

Edited by Claudio