I have had this cap/hat for years and now need some help in having it identified.

The quality is exceptional. leather lining is now dry  and loosing the polished finish

The embroidery appears to hand done and is sewn directly onto hat

Is this cap Military Mess dress, a Civilian smoking pillbox, or even a Bellhop';s cap (quality is a bit good for the last option)

Any help appreciated.

GordonIMG_7365.thumb.jpeg.e1698a76595693ea81802155239f170c.jpeg

Posted (edited)

This is a student's cap for a college fraternity.  I believe in German it is a Studentenmuetze or Prunktoennchen for a Burschenschaft.  The logo on top (or Zirkel as it is known in German) with the exclamation mark is the logo for the Viennese Bruna Sudetia academic fraternity.  The high quality of hand-embroidery leads me to believe that the student to whom this hat belonged came from a wealthy family.  Simi.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datei:Bruna_Sudetia_Zirkel.jpg

Edited by Simius Rex
spelling error

Thanks for the info Simi.

I have had a look on line at the fraternity and they have a most interesting pedigree.

The hat has been in my collection for many years awaiting an ID and you do it half an hour, there really is a vast amount of knowledge with forum members.

I think this cap may now be destined for EBay as it does not fit my interests

Thanks again. Gordon

Glad to be of help, Gordon.  The construction of the cap is very high quality with beautiful hand-embroidered details and should fetch a tidy sum on eBay-Germany or eBay-Austria.  It falls into a category of collectibles known as "Studentika" which has become very popular among certain European collectors.  Simi.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C5CHFA_enUS777US777&source=univ&tbm=isch&q=Studentika&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjDnYjd1KnqAhUonOAKHQwYBI0QsAR6BAgBEAE&biw=1270&bih=631

Posted (edited)

I found an old photograph from the 1920's that shows a Studentenmuetze identical to yours being worn.  All this young lad needs now is an organ grinder, a tin cup and a street corner to stand on, and  PRESTO... he's in business !!  

Studentika.jpg

Edited by Simius Rex