Ethiopia Amharic Issue United Nations Korea Medal - Silver Version

oamotme

Gentlemen,

I  attach an image of a mystery piece recently acquired - a UN medal for Ethiopia in silver.

This is the first time I have seen such a piece and other than being in silver is identical to the standard issue in bronze.

Any suggestions as to why?

The joy of collecting Imperial Ethiopian awards continues.............

Owain

Ethiopia UN Pair Obverse.jpg

Ethiopia UN Pair Reverse.jpg

I assume the bronze one is yours as well?  As I understand it, for those who collect ALL the UN Korea Medals, that one is the Holy Grail.  Well done!

Other than that, I have nothing to contribute, I'm afraid, except to comment that the Ethiopians seem to be a law unto themselves when it comes to orders and medals.  But a lovely thing.  Thanks for sharing  this piece.

For those of you interested in Ethiopian medals the feature article in the upcoming July-August 2020 issue of the Journal of the Orders and Medals Society of America is by Owain and describes the medals and combat infantryman's badges issued by Ethiopia for the Korean War and also provides a list of Ethiopians who received United States decorations during that war. The issue went to the printer yesterday and should be out to the membership by the second or third week of July.

Cover.pdf

19 hours ago, Gunner 1 said:

For those of you interested in Ethiopian medals the feature article in the upcoming July-August 2020 issue of the Journal of the Orders and Medals Society of America is by Owain and describes the medals and combat infantryman's badges issued by Ethiopia for the Korean War and also provides a list of Ethiopians who received United States decorations during that war. The issue went to the printer yesterday and should be out to the membership by the second or third week of July.

Cover.pdf 125.44 kB · 9 downloads

Looking forward to this issue.  Always looking for good reference material on Ethiopian medals, awards.

Regards,

Gordon

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...