News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Three documents with the same date for soldier ? exceptional or not?

PATOUT

A document case of a private infantry superior, name ?? : Katayose ???? I am not at all sure of the translation of the name, if anyone can confirm me (or not !) and tell me what the correct translation is.

This soldier was decorated on the same day (Showa 13 on 23 October) of the order of the rising sun 8th class, the golden kite 7th class and the medal of the incident with China.

It seems strange to me that he is decorated on the same day with these three medals, is it exceptional or not ? have you often met this ?

thank you for your valuable help

Regards

Patout

boite priv. sup. inf.Katayose Showa (7).JPG

boite priv. sup. inf.Katayose Showa (2).JPG

boite priv. sup. inf.Katayose Showa (1).JPG

boite priv. sup. inf.Katayose Showa (3).JPG

boite priv. sup. inf.Katayose Showa (5).JPG

22 hours ago, PATOUT said:

It seems strange to me that he is decorated on the same day with these three medals, is it exceptional or not ? have you often met this ?

Nice group from early days of China Incident. 

The same date for such combinations of awards quite usual (actually standart) story ;)  

片寄實一郎 - Katayose Ichirō 

Superior private, infantry

P.S. I bet the kanji at cases are gold ;) 

P.P.S. Some of the orders could bear M mark.

Edited by JapanX

Hi Nick,

Thanks a lot, for all this informations,

and congratulations :

the kanjis are golden and the two medals have the M of Osaka.

The golden kite is in excellent condition as well as the box and is certainly of the Showa era...but  for the rising sun, it seems to me that the box is rather of the Taisho era.

Regards Patout

IMG_1362.JPG

IMG_1364.JPG

IMG_1357.JPG

IMG_1361.JPG

50 minutes ago, PATOUT said:

The golden kite is in excellent condition as well as the box and is certainly of the Showa era...but  for the rising sun, it seems to me that the box is rather of the Taisho era.

Both cases are 100% original to the badges. 

This type of script was in use until late 1930s. 

IMG_1364.thumb.JPG.4fa89acc55bd3b5ae5cbf68ab0e14e3a.jpg.39ce9d26cd67129437b77a3f60f3c9c2.jpg

It is another unfortunate misconception (to date cases with such style of script as exclusevly Meiji/Taisho epoch cases) that was created alongside with rules for dating higher classes of kite by riverts, rising suns by veins, etc, etc, etc.  

Best,

Nick

24 minutes ago, JapanX said:

This type of script was in use until late 1930s. 

IMG_1364.thumb.JPG.4fa89acc55bd3b5ae5cbf68ab0e14e3a.jpg.39ce9d26cd67129437b77a3f60f3c9c2.jpg

The easiest way to prove this point will be looking at the order of auspecious clouds that was created in April of 1934. 

Early orders have the exact type of script  at the cases. 

i-img882x882-15808940816eqyzh74507.thumb.jpg.dcad7e4ff5b4a1d2aaa34af8a71d1e0f.jpg

Later it will transform to this style

i-img900x1200-1589775234ay6dwt224583.thumb.jpg.1ab777c389ccbef04822be1fc7a6208c.jpg

Edited by JapanX

Thanks Nick for this valuable information, it is true that I also very often made this mistake to think that these boxes with kanjis on 2 vertical lines were only to be attributed to Meiji/Taisho.
    I would learn the lesson.

Best,

Patout

Glad I could help you.

By the way, the clouds in such cases very often bear the very same M mark at the ring and naturally cases for them were also manufactured in Japan.

Regards,

Nick