Austro-Hungarian Red Cross collection

Posted (edited)

The 2nd Class with War Decoration in its case, manufactured by Christian Friedrich Rothe & Neffe:

AH7.thumb.jpg.ac6e7a9e03fbb9a69fed38dd0be30015.jpgAH7a.jpg.9df55b33b7843ba7663a9d0054966af7.jpgAH7b.jpg.f5746bf07ecd0f7f7bd96188ce150ab9.jpgAH7c.thumb.jpg.ee667c9b255951558d3f5c9eb75a7c36.jpgAH7d.thumb.jpg.152b8c4adabdf00f88ed8cf0cb4a52a8.jpgAH7e.thumb.jpg.333112024f0595faf7950d4746126075.jpg

Edited by graham

Graham,

Very nice set of awards. I particularly like the 1st Class (Ehrenzeichen für Verdienste um des Rote Kreuz {EZ1-RK(KD)}); magnificent!

Regards,

Ian

Posted (edited)

Thanks Ian.

This is the Silver medal with War Decoration, manufactured by Vince Mayer & Sons, Vienna:

AH9.thumb.jpg.c97ce37b32df44b242bc67470cdfe5aa.jpgAH9b.jpg.caf05907388d23fca96afd6815099b87.jpgAH9c.jpg.5a22ed728899338ad91fc43de6b2d5c0.jpgAH9a.thumb.jpg.f02e62647430fb1ac89301899cf6a91c.jpg

Edited by graham

Nice collection 👍

Do you know if the 2nd class (with WD) was manufactured by others than Rothe & Neffe?

The one you show is the design I always see, but I have one that is slightly different (the bow and the wreath)... I don't think it has any hallmarks, but I can double-check...

Great Dane,

Thanks. I believe the 2nd class decorations were also made by Vince Mayor & sons and Georg Adam Scheid.

Went back and double-checked and it does have hallmarks.

One is what looks like a '3', a dog's head and an 'A'. The other hallmark is 'FR'.

So Rothe must have made different versions. Here is mine - you can see the difference in the bow and the top of the wreath where the two branches meet.

image.thumb.png.6a5e32d5c696b66392ca24a95596cfe5.png

Edited by Great Dane

Interesting... thanks for the links.

Since the 'FR' hallmark on mine is in a diamond and fits with the award period (~1918), I'll interpret it as the Hallmark for Rothe for now.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2020 at 21:42, Elmar Lang said:

A nice collection, with very fine pieces, congratulations!

Enzo

Dear Mr. Enzo, I would like to know if the Austro-Hungarian Empire before 1914 issued a Red Cross medal or order?

Hi,

just to complete what Enzo wrote. Honour Badges for Red Cross Merit were established in August 1914, so as Enzo correctly stated there were no award before outbreak of WWI as this one started on 28 July 1914. However, plan to introduce these decorations didn't have anything to do with WWI as Red Cross Merit badges should have reflected upon 30. anniversary of International Red Cross Conference, held in Geneva in 1884. So bit of coincidence...plan for new decoration was made in peace times, but first awardees got it already in war times.

Tifes