Posted (edited)

Amidst the COVID-19 troubles to health and the global economy, scofflaws who think masks & other health measure infringe on their "personal freedoms" (especially here in the US), ethnic injustice, political selfishness, and global warming that fill the news, this is a piece of well-needed joyous celebration about an honour recognizing Capt Tom as a Knight Bachelor. This whole story has been a very moving demonstration of selflessness & personal duty (See, among others: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/07/17/captain-tom-moore-knighthood-sir-knighted-queen-ceremony/). Three cheers for Capt Sir Tom Moore!

large.1601204941_TELEMMGLPICT000235281651_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqpVlberWd9EgFPZtcLiMQfyf2A9a6I9YchsjMeADBa08.jpegcopy.jpg.df913affc287260423594eb6ee70bab1.jpg

CREDIT: Chris Jackson

large.497105364_TELEMMGLPICT000235286577_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqpVlberWd9EgFPZtcLiMQfyf2A9a6I9YchsjMeADBa08.jpegcopy.jpg.2a9ebe5b0d52ab5284e264c97576d40a.jpg 

CREDIT: Chris Jackson/Pool via Reuters

Edited by Rusty Greaves

Well said, personally, I think HM should have reached into her handbag and found the biggest, shiniest one she could find, never mind protocol,:thumbup:

Alex K

It makes a change to see someone get a knighthood which actually demonstrates what the award should be for. It's not just for those that have a measure of personal wealth, sporting achievment, privilege or celebrity, which seem often to be today's criteria for such an award. 

Agreed... It is so good to see that it is still possible for people to get recognition for doing something for others and not for themselves. 

Permit me a slight growl here... my father was a senior civil servant and received a knighthood.

However, I join you all in applauding the award to Sir Tom Moore, well deserved. Once the story was picked up by the BBC just before Easter it caught everyone's attention and raised a massive amount for a good cause.

my father was also honoured for nearly 50 years in the civil service mostly customs and excise in the 77 birthday honours. His view was that it their way of saying you're past it now so bugger off. He formed is own business which he retained until his death 20 years later.

p