Vizeadmiral Johannes Merten - Ottoman Awards

Hello, can anyone help me with the Ottoman Awards of Vizeadmiral Johannes Merten? He served in Turkey between August 1914 and November 1918 as Commander of the Fortifications of the Dardanelles and he also held the Ottoman rank of General of the Artillery.

I hope that someone has a list of his Ottoman awards?

On these photos I found we can see he had the Ottoman War Medal and what seems to be the Imtiyaz and Liakat medals. I think he also had the Osmaniye and Medjidie orders.

The ribbon bar on the first photo suggests he had 5 or 6 Ottoman awards. I'm not sure if the last ribbon is an Ottoman award. The second photo shows his bust. The award around the neck is the Order of the Medjidie (possibly with Swords?). However, I don't know the Class.

I pointed Merten with the red arrow on some photos.

Thanks!

Admiral_Merten.jpg

P119.jpg

49446157_10156940881097088_5822157387561172992_n.jpg

file77or7w3562olboxr8wc.jpg

Merten.jpg

Edited by Kriegsmarine Admiral

Hi,

From top:

1. I think on the ribbon bar from left 3. Gold Imtiyaz 4. Gold Liyakat 5. Silver İmtiyaz 6. Silver Liyakat. IMHO Rest not Turkish.

2. 1 st, 2 nd or 3rd class Mecidi order, Most probably 3rd Class. Otherwise there should have been a breast star for 1 and 2.

3. He has the War Medal and might be Gold Liyakat? and Silver Imtiyaz with swords

4. Silver İmtiyaz with Swords

5. same as 3

1 hour ago, demir said:

1. I think on the ribbon bar from left 3. Gold Imtiyaz 4. Gold Liyakat 5. Silver İmtiyaz 6. Silver Liyakat. IMHO Rest not Turkish.

Here is a close-up of the ribbons from the first photo.

1: Iron Cross (1914) 2nd Class

2: something with Swords

3: something with Swords (not a Turkish medal like you said)

4: something Turkish with Swords (Gold Imtiyaz?)

5: something Turkish with Swords (Gold Liyakat?)

6: something Turkish with Swords (Silver İmtiyaz?)

7: something Turkish with Swords (Silver Liyakat?)

8: I think this is the Ottoman War Medal?

9: possibly the Austro-Hungarian Military Merit Cross 3rd Class with War Decoration

Merten-ribbon-bar.jpg

1 hour ago, demir said:

2. 1 st, 2 nd or 3rd class Mecidi order, Most probably 3rd Class. Otherwise there should have been a breast star for 1 and 2.

But how would you see the Breast Star on the bust? It only shows the head and neck.

19 minutes ago, demir said:

If he had 1 or 2 wouldn’t they show it

You mean we would see the Breast Star on other photos of him? I think you are right.

Can you comment on the ribbon bar? 1-9? And tell me if you agree with my ID?

I can assist with these, and would agree with your suggestions:

8: I think this is the Ottoman War Medal

9: Austro-Hungarian Military Merit Cross with War Decoration

50 minutes ago, P.F. said:

I can assist with these, and would agree with your suggestions:

8: I think this is the Ottoman War Medal

9: Austro-Hungarian Military Merit Cross with War Decoration

Thank you Pierce!

What about the 2nd and 3rd ribbons? They are surely German. Any guesses?