News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Need help with the identity of this 9x bar

5 hours ago, Daniel Krause said:

nice one!

Adolf Karl Ludwig Theodor von Berckefeld, 1872-1920

Artillery guy, "finished" as half colonel, commanding FAR 183 in WW1.

Best,

Daniel

?  This is a surprise!  It came from the estate of the family: Kiessler!

@ my twin; the last 2 ribbons are the Baden 1902 Jubilee medal and a Schaumburg honor cross 3rd class.

@Claudius; who knows who married who in that times and how this bar made its way to the Kiessler family...

there was no Prussian Officer Kiessler who comes even close to that Combo.

Best,

Daniel

15 hours ago, Daniel Krause said:

nice one!

Adolf Karl Ludwig Theodor von Berckefeld, 1872-1920

Artillery guy, "finished" as half colonel, commanding FAR 183 in WW1.

Best,

Daniel

Daniel; I didn't thank you earlier, and I can't thank you enough!  And you identified it so quickly!

What German rank is "half-colonel"?

Glenn; Thank you for the photo!  That is great!  It's that kind of detail that I was looking for.  Now I'm interested in FAR 183 and where they operated and what actions they were involved in.

Gentlemen, again, my great appreciation for your contributions!

Best,

Claudius

Adolf v. Berckefeldt was born on 4.1.1872 in Bothmer, Fallingbostel, and died on 4.8.1920 in Hörden bei Herzberg/Harz. He was serving in FAR 50 in 1902 when he received the Baden Regierungsjubiläumsmedaille. He was transferred to FAR 66 in 1903 and later to the Hauptkadettenanstalt. On 22.3.1914 he was transferred to FAR 7 and was promoted to Major on 19.8.1914. He received the Schaumburg-Lippe Kreuz für Treue Dienste on 21.6.1916 as commander of I./RFAR 13 and later commanded FAR 183.

He had two sons and one daughter. His younger son Gerhard was killed in action in Russia 1941 as a Major. His older son Ulrich died in 1977. Ulrich's wives' surnames were Rauch and Trella. Adolf's daughter Gisela was married to a man named Friedrich Biester, who died of wounds in 1942 as an Oberleutnant der Reserve. I haven't found any connection to a Kiessler family.