News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

20 hours ago, bolewts58 said:

I believe these are ribbons worn by university students. So, I presume these are the university colors.

I can see that.  Although, it is really odd how it comes in three sizes;

1) mini-ribbon size

2) regular ribbon size (like if there was a medal)

3) Sash length, the example here is long enough to go across a body (sash-style) and there is a button on one end with a slot hole on the other, to attach them together.

23 hours ago, Utgardloki said:

There are lots of fraternities with these colours, from what city came it from? 

I can't be sure about the city.  It is attributed to a Bavarian.  It came with this medal bar, award documents and these mini ribbons.

Kiessler medal bar and ribbons1.jpeg

In 1934 he was in Tönning in Schleswig -Holstein. 

Kiessler HK doc.jpeg

But i can't find a good match for Rudolf Kiessler in the online Bavarian records.

The "sash" ribbon is over 130cm long.  (That's over 4' 3'' to us Yanks)  I call it a sash ribbon because I could wear it like a sash.  I'm over 6ft and it comfortable on me.  The single button and slot at the ends makes it easy to loop and unloop.

Kiessler unknown ribbon sash1.jpeg

If it is a university, why did they make mini ribbons like his wartime award ribbons?  And what would the regular width ribbon be for?  Is there a medal?

That most likely was the reason for the fraternity to choose that color.

Indeed this is a "sash" to be worn as You did. The silver lining at the edge of the ribbon is called "Perkussion", it can be silver or gold. When wearing black or white tie there are also narrower ribbons to use, but I don't know if that's the case with your "miniature ribbons" 

The typical width is 27 mm but it can differ. The one for black tie is narrower. There is no medal suspended from them, its just the ribbon.

In Vienna you can see those guys quite frequently. The fraternities (at least the german-national ones) are quite controversial in Austria and often in the media.

anzug_offen.jpg

frack.jpg

Edited by Utgardloki

7 hours ago, Utgardloki said:

That most likely was the reason for the fraternity to choose that color.

Indeed this is a "sash" to be worn as You did. The silver lining at the edge of the ribbon is called "Perkussion", it can be silver or gold. When wearing black or white tie there are also narrower ribbons to use, but I don't know if that's the case with your "miniature ribbons" 

The typical width is 27 mm but it can differ. The one for black tie is narrower. There is no medal suspended from them, its just the ribbon.

In Vienna you can see those guys quite frequently. The fraternities (at least the german-national ones) are quite controversial in Austria and often in the media.

anzug_offen.jpg

frack.jpg

This is all very interesting!  Just as you mentioned, the lining is silver; on the sash, ribbon (Bierzipfel) and mini (Weinzipfel).

Thank you Andreas!

It is all very informative. 

Can I accurately assume that Studentika refers to students with the ages of 18-24 years old?  Or could it be older adults that have returned to earn a University degree?

• 10 months later...

I'll add some more info to the old topic:

Student organisations (corpuses, burschenschaften) were and still are active in many German and german-speaking universities; today, the tradition is rejuvenated in many non-german conutries (Poland, Baltic, Hungary ...). Some organisations are male-only, others are for both genders. Some fraternities have nowadays some right-wing political conotation, while others do not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studentenverbindung

Fraternity colors are usually three, chosen more or less randomly, and do not necessary represent th land of origin.

The narrow ribbons are used either as marking the beer/wine/schnaps mugs/glasses, but the long sash-style ribbon is a sign of membership. The broad sash (not inculded in Claudius grouping) was/is worn by "chargierte" - the leadership of the society, while ordinary members wear narrow sashes. The leadership consist of senior (the leader), consenior (2nd in rank) and subsenior (3rd in rank), but there are also other functionaries, like "fuxmajor" (who is in chardge for "fuxes" (foxes) - rookie members in ther first year in society; fuxmajor wears a fox tail on his cap). Membership in society is usually life-long, regular members are those who are still students, and former students, alumni members or "old guard" are called "filisters".

I included a picture of Swiss fraternity Zaringia from Freiburg im Üechtland, which is inclusive for women too. The chargierte wear broad sashs and parade uniforms with fencing swords, the regular members wear in this picture caps only and their membership sashes (with all three colors), and persons in first row are fuxes, who wear sashes with two colors only.Gruppenfoto_GV_Zaehringia.thumb.jpg.acc28a73bd3daf69b051b26a67f4e686.jpg