Dear all,

I picked up this small trapezoid bar some time ago, which has:

- RAO3 with bow and crown
- Long service cross
- Centenary medal

There is not much to go on here, but I found this old thread from Rick explaining a few things:
https://gmic.co.uk/gallery/image/977-bow-tie-prussian-red-eagle-order-3rd-class/

Based on the thread a few questions:
- Because of the bow this person had already received the 4th class?
- 3rd class would normally mean a full colonel?
- The bar does not have a Crown order 3rd class. If I assume correctly on the thread
than this guy was a major general whose crown order, to quote Rick,
"[...] had "moved on and up" to a commander grade"?

What would the naval equivalent be? And does anyone also have the award numbers for this combination?

Best,

Peter

124b.jpg

124a.jpg

Hello Peter, 

Nice one!

I would guess, thats a Navy bar of a full captain or Konteradmiral.

The Red Eagle 3 with bow And Crown was awarded only 315 times.

136 of them were still in whatever kind of Uniform in WW1.

Best,

Daniel

23 minutes ago, Daniel Krause said:

Hello Peter, 

Nice one!

I would guess, thats a Navy bar of a full captain or Konteradmiral.

The Red Eagle 3 with bow And Crown was awarded only 315 times.

136 of them were still in whatever kind of Uniform in WW1.

Best,

Daniel

Daniel,

That's a low number, thanks for the info :cheers:

Best,

Peter

Hello Peter,

2 hours ago, drspeck said:

3rd class would normally mean a full colonel?

This isn't necessarily true, there were some oberleutnants who received the RAO4 but you also had colonels who had slaved away for 20 years before they got their RAO4. 3rd class could mean a full colonel yes, but it could also be higher than that.

The bar does not have a Crown order 3rd class. If I assume correctly on the thread
than this guy was a major general whose crown order, to quote Rick,
"[...] had "moved on and up" to a commander grade"?

I agree that the person to whom this ribbonbar belonged most likely received the 2nd class.

Because of the bow this person had already received the 4th class?

Yes, but only if he was Prussian, if he wasn't Prussian I believe the bow was given after having held the class for a number of years. I'm not entirely sure about this though, so the input of someone who collects RAO's would be appreciated.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards, Laurentius

38 minutes ago, laurentius said:

Hello Peter,

This isn't necessarily true, there were some oberleutnants who received the RAO4 but you also had colonels who had slaved away for 20 years before they got their RAO4. 3rd class could mean a full colonel yes, but it could also be higher than that.

I agree that the person to whom this ribbonbar belonged most likely received the 2nd class.

Yes, but only if he was Prussian, if he wasn't Prussian I believe the bow was given after having held the class for a number of years. I'm not entirely sure about this though, so the input of someone who collects RAO's would be appreciated.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards, Laurentius

Laurentius,

It helps, thanks for the extra info :cheers:

Best,

Peter

Bow to the 3rd class and oaks to the higer classes were only awarded to prussians.

Best,

Daniel