News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Belgian Victory Medals

Guest Darrell

The only one of these I haven't seen at least once is the Greek unofficial type 2. I missed out on the other three when I saw them, but am holding out hope that someone will have an extra for trade, since the Riemer Belgian is also quite rare.

Hi David,

I'm sorry, but the Riemer Belgian is common...

Regards

Pierre-Yves

• 2 months later...

Hi Gents,

These two are both the Official Type 1, but one has a smaller ball and larger suspension ring than the other:

2belg01-crop_zpsf9473946.jpg

The balls are just over .5mm different in diameter, while the rings are quite visibly different. Is this significant enough to call them sub-variants or varieties?

Bill

Edited by Bilco

Hi Bill,

Hi Gents,

These two are both the Official Type 1, but one has a smaller ball and larger suspension ring than the other:

The balls are just over .5mm different in diameter, while the rings are quite visibly different. Is this significant enough to call them sub-variants or varieties?

Bill

I have seen such variety and would attribute it to manufacturer variations. There are also variations in the finish of the medals as well with some having a very dark patina with others a more shiny surface.

Regards,
    Rob

Rob,

Many thanks for your comments - there do seem to be several variations in the suspension of the Belgian Official. This one seems to have an oval ball rather than the usual spherical one:

belgiumsmallball_zpsaa8ac859.jpg

Bill

Edited by Bilco

Hi Gents,

Here is another small suspension ball Official Type 1 - I think it's been polished, rather than being the 'highly buffed' Type 2. The polishing shows that the suspension ball is a more coppery colour than the planchet:

IMGP0025-crop_zps26471039.jpg

It may even be a replacement ball.

Bill

• 3 months later...

Hi GM1,

We have seen a similar suspension before - post # 111 on page 6.

Bill

You're right Bill, it seems like the same suspension... although with a better finishing. I recall having seen such a suspension some years ago, but I can't remember the webpage...

Thanks a lot!

GM1

• 1 month later...

A new belgian Victory medal in my collection. There is NO Paul Dubois marking and look to the special suspension...

Any idea which variant it could be?

Best regards,

GM1

Just in case someone offers you this medal, it has been stolen from my collection during post handling in France.

Thank you for your co-operation.

GM1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Gents,

In his book Laslo says that the Belgian Victory medal was struck under contract by Establissements Jules Fonson, and examples have been found in Fonson wrappers, like this one:

belgian%20ww1_zpsn0aytfxp.jpg

However, he raises the possibility that the vics were also made by other Belgian firms, and quotes one he calls Fibru Fish. This may be Fisch, and I have seen an example, although I don't have one at present:

belg%20fisch_zpsxemjr3ta.jpg

I have just acquired a boxed example of the Belgian vic, with the stamp of Ch Galere Decorations, 172 rue du Trone, Bruxelles:

Belgium%20box%2001-crop_zpsflbsr918.jpg

belgium%20box%2002-crop_zpsjlexdtwi.jpg

The medal and its ribbon look like they have had some wear, though I suppose it could have been kept in the box between wearings for many years.

I would be interested in any comments, or examples of other manufacturers packaging.

Bill

Edited by Bilco
    Spelling mistake

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bill,

I have seen another example of a Belgian vic, in good condition, with no wear on the medal or ribbon, in another plain grey CH. Galère box.

I have an undated catalogue of Establissment Charles Galère that shows the Belgian vic. In that regard it is likely that they produced the vic as it is listed for sale in their catalogue.

Regards,
    Rob

• 1 year later...

Hello, gentlemen!
    My recent purchase of the Victory Medal.

Бельгия Реплика Тип 4 общая.jpg

My opinion: the official type 1. Pay attention to the bottom of the coin 6 hours! 

«Paul Dubois» no!

Бельгия Реплика Тип 4 аверс_resize.jpg

Legs goddess located at some step!

Бельгия Реплика Тип 4 аверс 2.jpg

photo

Бельгия Реплика Тип 4 2.jpg

Бельгия Реплика Тип 4 ребро.jpg

Бельгия Реплика Тип 4 ребро 3.jpg

Бельгия Реплика Тип 4 ребро 4.jpg

All comments are welcome!

Hi Oliver860,

If you look on the reverse, just below the 6 o'clock on the central laurel wreath there is a little triangular space. Can you see any lettering there - either an 'R' or an 'LA'

Bill

On 14.07.2016 at 21:23, Bilco said:

Привет Oliver860,

Если вы посмотрите на оборотной стороне, чуть ниже 6 часов на центральном лаврового венка есть немного треугольные пространства. Вы можете увидеть любые надписи там - либо 'R' или 'LA'

Билл

Hi, Bill!

There is no "R" no "LA"!

Oliver860

On 14/7/2016 at 15:21, oliver860 said:

Hello, gentlemen!
    My recent purchase of the Victory Medal.

My opinion: the official type 1. Pay attention to the bottom of the coin 6 hours! 

«Paul Dubois» no!

Legs goddess located at some step!

Бельгия Реплика Тип 4 2.jpg

All comments are welcome!

Hello Oliver,

This example looks in similar condition to earlier examples posted in this thread (# 111 & # 237) albeit having a flat tab suspender.  It is not unusual to see examples with a poorer strike and edge finish as these medals were produced by a variety of Belgian manufacturers.

I would suggest that the die that was used for this example had a fair degree of wear and that underneath the edge, where the filing is present, there may be the remains of the designers name.  I have seen other examples where the designers name is very clear and defined and others where it is poorly defined, weakly struck and quite difficult to see.  This, combined with the original Belgian manufactured ribbon, suggests that this example was produced by an unidentified Belgian firm.

Regards,
    Rob

• 4 months later...

Hi Gents,

I'm after your opinions of this medal ....

img017-crop_zpsg6hhwgfi.jpg

obverse

img016-crop_zpsvbarg9jl.jpg

reverse

It has a small ball or very thick wire suspension, the 'Paul Dubois' is present but rather indistinct compared to Official type 1s I have, and the colour has a rather coppery, slightly shiney tone. The edge is clean and smooth, diameter 36mm.

So, is it an Official Type 1 with an odd suspension, a well-made copy, or something else?

Bill