News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

New Badges - WW2 Era

Chrisvo

I was hoping for some helping regarding a few of these badges and medallions. Most are Italian Fascist badges plus Italian Colonial Battles Medals pre-WW2.

Not too clued up on the two 'shamrock' Irish cloth badges - are these formation patches or something else entirely?

The one that has me stumped though is the one on the top left. It is a badge with a gladius chopping the head off of a snake with the Cross of Lorraine in the background in red enamel. Possibly Free French or some such. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
    Chris

New Badges.jpg

New Badges1.jpg

Edited by Chrisvo

• 2 weeks later...

Rather a mixed lot there.  I assume to two on the top left are Fascist Italy and the Cross of Lorraine is certainly French but I wonder if the two shamrocks may be divisional WWI patches for the 16th Irish Division of the British Army.  A number of armies use shamrocks, including the British, American and, I assume, Irish but most of them seem to have leaves which are triangular rather than round [see below].  The 16th seem to be the exception to that, so these could be locally made for that division.  Or, of course, something else entirely, but at least that's a place to start.

16th Irish Division16th.jpg.10f2286e0be905eaedf027e3cc584dbf.jpg and [below] Royal Irish Regiment, British Army - the more typical shape for shamrocks.

RIR.jpg

Edited by peter monahan

Thank you Peter. Yes, a rather mixed lot. Don't exactly know where to post sometimes. Bit of guess work.

I think you might be right about the Irish patches. Also picked up a set of WW1 medals to a L-2110 DVR. R. Bushell. R.A. with the lot. Don't know if there is a connection there..

Also picked up another set of medals. A WW1 1914-15 star and WW2 African Service Medal and British War Medal.

The WW1 medal reads BOMBR. E.D. Rom 8th Cit. Batt. and the two WW2 medals WN 615896 E.Rom.

Thanks for the help.

Hi Chris

You should be able to get some data on the WWI bloke from the British National Archives.  I suspect the same may be true for WW2 but not sure about who can access files. 

Here in Canada we can now get the files of anyone who has been dead for 15 or 20 years and the men killed in WW@ are actually on-line in  minimal detail but Brit stuff is outside my experience so not sure.  Anyway, good luck!