News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1813 EK1 Opinions?

2 hours ago, VtwinVince said:

It's an interesting piece, wonder what sort of provenance it has?

At the auction house, they claim that this piece belonged to Adolf Wilhelm Leopold Ludwig von Rosenberg-Gruszsynski. He recieved the IC 1 for the battle at Paris on 30.th of March 1814. 

• 2 weeks later...

I had a chance to have a close look at the piece, when I was at Bene Merenti's for an early preview this week. Despite I cannot find an exact same cross at Aurich or Wernitz, I absolutely like what it looks like, and how it's made, and how it's aged. Though not considering myself an expert in 1813 1st classes (but who would?), I'd buy this cross in a heart beat.

:love:

Edited by saschaw

Regarding the ic from 1813, this is what I can tell. 

In the 2nd class, for the experienced collector, both the question of the chronological order of production and the question of originality are usually easy to answer. For example, the very early bestowal copies were made in 28 or 29 parts, the later bestowal copies were made in 5 parts. The EKs from the bestowal from 1834 onwards can be easily recognized by their iron core.

Such distinctive features are usually missing in the 1st class. There are also a few EK I 1813 whose ribbed frame is made in several parts, similar to the 2nd class. And on early specimens, four or eight eyelets have been attached to the plate instead of the needle. Nevertheless, despite the low number of awards, I cannot remember having seen two EK I 1813, which are indiscriminately similar in manufacture. All the perfectly contemporary EK I 1813 that I have seen so far are unique pieces in themselves. For this reason, in contrast to the 2nd class in the 1st class, it is not easy, in my opinion, to answer the questions of originality and chronological classification. Many aspects and clues have to be considered.

The EK I 1813 you show has potential to be a contemporary example. Ultimately, one would have to hold the EK in one's hands and examine it in peace.

@saschaw To be honest, I am tempted too! 

Edited by BlackcowboyBS

• 3 weeks later...

For future references, the cross sold at EUR 11,500 plus fees - definitely not a bargain, but, I'd suggest, well worth the money. Chances are this will be the only authentic, early cross with provenience to appear in an auction for many, many years.

:whistle:

• 2 months later...