In my opinion, the photograph in the link was taken around the time of the Befreiungskriege Centennial celebrations.  The man looks like he has a fake mustache and beard glued onto his face.  His uniform, to a large extent, looks like a reproduction.  He was probably a participant in re-enactment activities for one of the several celebrations taking place in 1913. I pity the fool who paid 2K for what was probably intended to be a novelty portrait. Just my 2 cents.  Simi.    

Whacky Husar.jpg

Edited by Simius Rex

Here's another one of those whacky looking portraits of a centennial re-enactor dating from around 1913.  This guy's mustache is actually painted onto his face.  The uniform is a reproduction.  I read somewhere that these matted pictures were sold by shops and street vendors as souvenirs along with other trinkets commemorating the 100-year anniversary of the defeat of Napoleon.  Incidentally... this picture sold on eBay for 2300 Euro in 2018. 

Re-enactment Husar.jpg

Here's a fantastic image for those of you interested in seeing what a genuine, late 19th century portrait of a REAL Leibhusar dressed in a REAL husar officer's uniform looks like,

Leibhusar Langfuhr Danzig 1.jpg

Edited by Simius Rex

Here's a group photo of centennial re-enactors I downloaded from somewhere a long time ago.    I don't remember what it sold for. 

Centennial Re-Enactors.jpg

Edited by Simius Rex
Posted (edited)

I thought it could be a napoleonic veteran on a gatharing in 1851 (year written on backside)... the second picture you posted is easier to make out as an reenactor. The genuine photo is taken later and shows a contemporary Leib Husar (not an old veteran or reenactor).

Are there any known definitely genuine pictures of napoleonic veterans wearing their old uniforms... ?

Edited by Utgardloki

The photo on eBay is definitely not taken in 1851.  If you study the visual and physical characteristics of mid-19th century photography and the photographic techniques employed at that time, you will see that the portrait on eBay cannot possibly date from the middle of the 19th century.  It clearly exhibits the characteristics of a photograph taken in the very late 19th to early 20th century.     

In my opinion, the picture also has a fake inscription on the reverse.  Incidentally, the eBay seller currently selling the photo in the link is the same guy who sold the souvenir photo in 2018 pictured above.  I think he acquires these souvenir photos of re-enactors and marks the reverse with fake inscriptions in order to make a ton of money at the expense of inexperienced collectors. 

Even Bavarians love to dress-up in period outfits to celebrate centennials.  Here they are in 1888 for the King Ludwig Centennial dressed in 18th century uniforms.

Centennial Reenactment 1888.jpg

Edited by Simius Rex
8 hours ago, Utgardloki said:

Are there any known definitely genuine pictures of napoleonic veterans wearing their old uniforms... ?

There are many more surviving photos of veterans of Napoleon's Grand Armee than there are of the German veterans of the Napoleonic Wars. 

Here are two recipients of the EK2-1813 photographed in 1863.  Note that THIS is how photographs from the mid 19th century should look !!    

German Veterans Napoleonic War.jpg

Edited by Simius Rex

Jan Kube in his book Militaria , tells about the Centennial uniforms manufactured to conmemorate not only centenary of Battles but also regimental  ones . including Bavaria .

On 30/08/2020 at 06:16, Simius Rex said:

In my opinion, the photograph in the link was taken around the time of the Befreiungskriege Centennial celebrations.  The man looks like he has a fake mustache and beard glued onto his face.  His uniform, to a large extent, looks like a reproduction.  He was probably a participant in re-enactment activities for one of the several celebrations taking place in 1913. I pity the fool who paid 2K for what was probably intended to be a novelty portrait. Just my 2 cents.  Simi.    

Whacky Husar.jpg

Much as I like your thesis Simi, I'm not a 100% sold on it. The comparison with the other pic you've shown is problematic, because most of the uniform details are hidden by the Pelz worn in that photograph. More importantly, the Pelzmütze shown in the threadstarter seems to be of an altogether different type of those worn in the Napoleontic area, and could in fact be correct for the mid 19th century. 

I am traveling and don't have access to my books, do I had to resort to the internet - but if you study the plates below you'll see what I mean. 

Mind you, I'm not saying the threat starter is good, and I agree there are some crude details on the tunic (like the mounting of the tress on the right breast of the person depicted, and the rather curious way the shoulder board is attached). But I'm not fully sold yet on the theory that this is (just another) centenary pic.

092faed1fa962db748abeff88f58fa47.jpg

113_600x600.jpg

Preussische_Husaren_Uniformtafel.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the insanity goes on. There is another pair of these reenactment-pictures up for sale (the beard is so clearly glued to the mans face its ridiculous) and bidding has reached 2900 (!) Euros. I just cannot understand it. If anyone is interested to have a look:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/2-x-Fotos-Leib-Husar-Offizier-Danzig-Pelzmutze-Totenkopf-Leibhusaren/254713135595?hash=item3b4e1601eb:g:mc4AAOSwGQJfV4d3

By the way @Simius Rex - It looks like the arrows painted on all these pictures are very similar, all from one seller who perhaps got a bunch of these and now slowly sells them a piece a time? Just a guess...

Edited by ArHo
15 hours ago, ArHo said:

Well, the insanity goes on. There is another pair of these reenactment-pictures up for sale (the beard is so clearly glued to the mans face its ridiculous) and bidding has reached 2900 (!) Euros. I just cannot understand it. If anyone is interested to have a look:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/2-x-Fotos-Leib-Husar-Offizier-Danzig-Pelzmutze-Totenkopf-Leibhusaren/254713135595?hash=item3b4e1601eb:g:mc4AAOSwGQJfV4d3

By the way @Simius Rex - It looks like the arrows painted on all these pictures are very similar, all from one seller who perhaps got a bunch of these and now slowly sells them a piece a time? Just a guess...

The bidding is all the stranger for the seller saying no more than that the man is wearing an 1850 model busby.

It has to be said, of course, that this is careful wording which, while factually correct, allows a naive bidder room to read more into the description than is justified. 

@ArHoYou're right about these photographs being offered by the same seller.  He goes under various names on eBay but he marks-up the auction pics with the same kinds of recognizable red lines and arrows.  

@Trooper_D If people want to collect and invest serious money in EARLY and MID 19th photographs, they should first learn how to recognize and distinguish the physical characteristics of genuine Daguerreotypes, Ambrotypes, Tintypes and CDVs from this period.  Then, tricky and misleading wording will no longer be factors.  

I downloaded the photos in ArHo's link because the auction page will eventually disappear on eBay.  The lot sold today for an insane price of 2.900 Euro. 

The seller's user name is chesterlachs which seem fitting, because I have no doubt that chester lachs himself silly all the way to bank.

Centennial Husar.jpg

Edited by Simius Rex

Bonjour,

Well it even seems that the 3 photos are showing the same "Model", with different types of false moustaches/beards...

Definitely dodgy sales - someone will get badly burnt..

(well, IF there is actually a real bidder in these auctions !)

Jerome

Fake Cemetary.jpg

On 01/09/2020 at 15:24, Utgardloki said:

Edited by Djedj

And the next two pictures, from this seller 😉 Rare stuff, indeed...

At least he changed the arrows (wonder if he is reading this thread, too?)

https://www.ebay.de/itm/254722437688

The starting price is now so ridiculous that I start to ask myself if, like @Djedj wrote, this whole thing is "real". Well a bad dream for anyone who buys these... I wonder if these are pictures taken in the context of some theatrical show. Perhaps famous actors in theses days...?

Stay safe

Edited by ArHo
3 hours ago, ArHo said:

I wonder if these are pictures taken in the context of some theatrical show. Perhaps famous actors in those days. 

As I mentioned above, I was informed many years ago in a German forum that these pre-matted photos were created for street vendors to sell as souvenirs along with other trinkets for the Centennial Celebrations in 1913. 

These photos were a big novelty because nobody had actually seen real pictures of soldiers dressed in Napoleonic period uniforms before.  People saw them in paintings and lithographs, but never the real thing.  

I am posting the seller's newest treasures below before they disappear from eBay.

Whacky Pics.jpeg

Edited by Simius Rex