News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Mystery coxcomb police helmet find

So this helmet was found at an antique shop by a fellow collector who thought of me and sent pics, had him pick it up right away because it was  so unusual.We are still stumped trying to identify it. Almost certain its mid to late 1800's...it was manufactured by Christys' ,there is a shadow of a QV crowned wreathed badge.the coxcomb has a ver unusal fitting with "feather" details unlike the "batwing " designs you see.

Any ideas ???

eb30a0ef5e4c4f1a2457c8c56269e576.0.jpg

70f6cc7041d14ea4e139b5dd9c770795.0.jpg

efdc4dd0c64a155726251a937985ef29.0.jpg

I have an identical helmet of similar age, also manufactured by Christy's. This type of helmet was worn by many police forces in the North West of England. My own originates from Burnley.  Also, its not unusual for helmet plates to be interchanged on helmets once the helmet leaves its original issued force.

Dave.

Edited by Dave Wilkinson

Dave Wilkinson, you confirmed my first guess when I first saw the helmet, I thought northern England or Wales, being old photos showing a lot of coxcomb style helmets. I am curious, was there ever a Lancashire Constabulary helmet plate with the squared off QVC....be interested to see a pic of your helmet....

Cheers....Tom

Please see the appended images. The Lancashire Constabulary did use an identical helmet plate to that which is fitted to the helmet with the obvious exception that it had their force title on it and the County shield centre. I hope this is helpful. As an aside, I'm not aware of any forces in the north of wales who wore a similar helmet in Victorian or Edwardian times. On the balance of probabilities your helmet originates from a force in the North West of England.

Dave.   

DSCF9834 (2).JPG

DSCF9835 (2).JPG

DSCF9836 (2).JPG

DSCF9837 (2).JPG