News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

4 minutes ago, ArHo said:

HannoverC.jpg

A very nice portrait ArHo, you don't often see the Ernst August-Orden, especially on someone so young. He's also wearing his Langensalza-medal wrong, this would make a fine addition to the Mistakes in Wear-thread.

Kind regards, Laurentius

38 minutes ago, ArHo said:

Okay - back to Hannover, well, somehow... ?

HannoverC.jpg

Wow ArHo this is really amazing! I have never seen a photo of a wearer of the Ernst August Order! This is really rare. It would be a perfect addition for my books, would you be so kind to send a high resolution scan to my email address? Of course you will be mentioned in the book and copyright lies upon you. 

orden_kgr_hannover@schwarzbuch-verlag.com 

Thank you very much for showing it here! 

My query should not be falsely interpreted. I also protect my privacy, and I am in close contact with major collectors in Germany who, for security reasons, also keep a low profile. But when someone comes out of seemingly nowhere with really incredible material, of course it peaks my interest, especially if that individual is using a forum as a platform for commercial purposes.

44 minutes ago, VtwinVince said:

My query should not be falsely interpreted. I also protect my privacy, and I am in close contact with major collectors in Germany who, for security reasons, also keep a low profile. But when someone comes out of seemingly nowhere with really incredible material, of course it peaks my interest, especially if that individual is using a forum as a platform for commercial purposes.

Thanks for clarifying Vince.

Frankly, I don't see the issue. Stephan did a book on Braunschweig, and is doing a book on Hannover. As is often the case in such cases, many of the pieces are probably not his, even if copyright in the pictures is. 

Kind regards, 

Sandro

20 hours ago, GdC26 said:

11.thumb.jpg.2227b37d3413d6fbb9e83cf935ff6d70.jpg7.thumb.jpg.01d7698ac7b9f5e5dd3faa6079fb9beb.jpg

Ernst August shown wearing Hanoverian orders (plus some others ....?)

What I really really like is that you can see that Ernst August is wearing his knightscross 2nd. class which he was awarded by his son Ernst August Duke of Brunswick on 13th of june 1914 in Gmund. The Duke of Brunswick followed the old tradition of the younger line of the guelphs to wear the 4th class of the guelphic order. So both Father and son wore on their medal bar the knights cross second class of Brunswick Henry the lion, as well as the 4th class of the guelphic order and the knights cross 2nd class of the Ernst August order. This is the ultimate answer to my question above, the 4th class of the guelphic order has to be compared to the knights cross 2nd class of Brunswick and not to the 4th class of the order of Henry the Lion. 

Sandro, if you can send me a high resolution scan of this photo I would be much obeliged to you. 

Gentleman thanks for the discussion! 

Edited by BlackcowboyBS
    typo

Some things I found interesting on the pictures of Ernst August:

The gartered star - I remember his MMThO being sold at Thies, does anyone know something about this star?

image.png.5bb114aa9e535f41dd49e42cb5fe0fd4.pngimage.png.99a80cfe36eea7c27f71c4556041ff96.png

What is this decoration - I don't think I have seen it before

image.png.314fa06c0b316546dd33ec1857bc9278.png

I really like the ribbon bar he's wearing - especially the miniature devices on it, there seems to be a small Maria Therese cross to be on the first ribbon

image.png.028a9ba27d0e082601c8e49224f4e972.pngimage.png.3b10809ad72ab19eabd0ea263e388f00.png

Edited by Utgardloki

16 hours ago, Utgardloki said:

Some things I found interesting on the pictures of Ernst August:

The gartered star - I remember his MMThO being sold at Thies, does anyone know something about this star?

image.png.5bb114aa9e535f41dd49e42cb5fe0fd4.pngimage.png.99a80cfe36eea7c27f71c4556041ff96.png

What is this decoration - I don't think I have seen it before

image.png.314fa06c0b316546dd33ec1857bc9278.png

I really like the ribbon bar he's wearing - especially the miniature devices on it, there seems to be a small Maria Therese cross to be on the first ribbon

image.png.028a9ba27d0e082601c8e49224f4e972.pngimage.png.3b10809ad72ab19eabd0ea263e388f00.png

1998104135_H_Star.thumb.jpg.a9db6a4388fd03e08df7d200ea3615aa.jpg

If you prefer... Prinzen.

Prinzen2.thumb.jpg.834b548b3d6254047e4727f213a2849e.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

On looking at the Hannover section of volume II of 'Orden in Deutschland und Osterreich by Klenau, page 216, he mentions the award in 1849 of a 'Schleife' (bow) to seven recipients of the KH. I am afraid that my translation of the German language is very poor. Can anyone tell me exactly what these bows were awarded for? I can find no other detailed reference to them anywhere. They seem a little 'odd' to me, but that may simply be my lack of understanding of the finer nuances of later Hannoverian awards. 

I am very interested in discovering the life story of Generalmajor Bernard Riefkugel who took part in the defence of La Haye Sainte at Waterloo, who received one of these bows.    

1 hour ago, Allan J Woodliffe said:

On looking at the Hannover section of volume II of 'Orden in Deutschland und Osterreich by Klenau, page 216, he mentions the award in 1849 of a 'Schleife' (bow) to seven recipients of the KH. I am afraid that my translation of the German language is very poor. Can anyone tell me exactly what these bows were awarded for? I can find no other detailed reference to them anywhere. They seem a little 'odd' to me, but that may simply be my lack of understanding of the finer nuances of later Hannoverian awards. 

I am very interested in discovering the life story of Generalmajor Bernard Riefkugel who took part in the defence of La Haye Sainte at Waterloo, who received one of these bows.    

Well this is a very interesting topic! I hope to find out more, once I started digging into the hannoverian archives in Hannover and the private archive of the royal family in Pattensen. Bad thing, that Corona prevents me from starting. 

All I can tell you right now is, that the statutes of the Guelphic Order were changed six times during their valid existance. In the change of 1848 the bow was instituted and given to the seven people Klenau mentioned in his book. The dates you find in his book are the dates when these seven people got their knights cross, all of them got their bows in 1848! So the bow seems to be connected to the revolutionary events that took part in 1848 in Germany and Europe. Riefkugel got his knightscross for La Haye Sainte but the bow for something in 1848. 

If a person was awarded with the bow, he was permitted to carry this bow to a higher class if awarded, this happened to 2 persons. 

As said, as soon as I discover more on this or any other interesting topics, I might tell a little bit of it here, the whole story then in my book! 

But great question and Thanks for asking.  

PS: the original text of the statue was never changed, if I am talking about changes, it has to be seen as supplements, addendums or specifications

Edited by BlackcowboyBS
    PS added

Many thanks BlackcowboyBS. You have made things a little clearer. Perhaps the bows were awarded to those who remained particularly loyal to Ernest Augustus during the revolutionary upheavals? 

I do hope you manage to discover the reasons for this award, as it is very unusual to have an addition to an order  which no-one seems to know anything definitive about. 

• 3 months later...
    19 hours ago, DarthZealous said:

@BlackcowboyBS this is great news! A much under-studied subject matter. I find the Order of St George particularly interesting. 

How and where are people able to purchase your works?

I will let you know here in this forum, as soon as the book is available, but it will take some time, I guess maybe end of 2022. 

You can have a look at my books on the duchy of Brunswick here and order directly at my publishing company . 

Books on Brunswick

On 27/02/2021 at 07:32, 1812 Overture said:

763344758_psc(6).thumb.jpg.c3043f55cc4aa6e3f5c87d75d50a5c88.jpg

I have seen the generals of the Kingdom of Bulgaria wearing the Guelph order

Hello 1812 Overture, Thanks, but I would say that this order looks more like the SEHO3a/b than the guelphic order, but nevertheless he wears the breaststar of Brunswick, so it is a great photo! Thanks for sharing it. 

Edited by BlackcowboyBS

• 3 months later...

Does anyone have any suggestions where I might find an illusration of  Generalmajor Bernard Riefkugel?

Here is a picture of his MGS.  

MGS 1793-1814, Talavera, Busaco, Albuhera, Ciudad Rodrigo, Salamanca, Vittoria, St Sebastian, Nivelle, Nive. (B. Riefkugel, 2nd Lt. ARTy. 1st Lt. & ADJt 2nd Lt. Bn. K.G.L.)

DSC03305.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

well the condition of this one is amazing! To me it looks okay. He was a rifleman of the Landwehr Battaillon Münden in the battle of Waterloo, his rang was Schütze (the same as rifleman I suppose), when he got his award in the same Bataillon. 

20 hours ago, augustin1813 said:

Than you. I had a doubt o knowing if the medal was a military (Guelfen-Medaille) or a civilan one, because it is no grade or unit indication.

Well this discussion goes on since how many years? It is known, that there are some exceptions of the general rules, so you have military medals without grade or unit id. Hopefully I will end this discussion when my book comes out. I am looking forward to digging into the archives! 

• 2 months later...

Does anyone have a picture of the badge, or anyone wearing one, of 3rd class knight of the Royal Guelphic Order with 'Schliefe' (bow).

I understand that it was only awarded to the following seven Officers:

Generalmajor B. Riefkugel

Oberst Lt. Schneider

Oberst Lt. F. Brinkmann 

Oberst Freiherr von Slicher 

Oberst Lt. (General-Major) E. Brinckmann 

Oberst Lt. (General-Lieut) Wehner 

Oberst Lt. D. Thorbeck

Names extracted from p. 216 - Klenau 'Order in Deutschland und Osterreich'

Thanks,

Allan

• 2 months later...

Regarding ODM of Hannover: 

ERNST AUGUSTUS CROSS. CREATED AUGUST 1845 FOR 50 YEARS’ SERVICE

Does anyone know how many of these long service crosses were awarded?

Would I be correct in assuming that they were only awarded 1845 to 1866 when Hannover was annexed by Prussia?

Where would be the best source to try to obtain one?

Thanks,

Allan