News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A query for the helmet fittings experts please - This is the 'acanthus leaf' boss from a Dublin Metropolitan Police helmet. It is the first time I have seen one disassembled, as they are usually seen with the 'ball top' finial. I notice that the decoration on the boss extends up to the very top, which is usally hidden by the finial.
    It is also unventilated, which seems unusual.

complete.thumb.jpg.c2fcc55ccc7a584eb4ddbe66a2a355b7.jpg

699477899_Bossobv.thumb.jpg.7f39f7709ee8ef65b0c5d1b6d5c8f22c.jpg

Does anyone know if these 'acanthus leaf' patterns were used on other helmets, police or military, and if so what would the other fittings have looked like? Did they allow for the additional decoration to be seen?

Any ideas as to when these were first taken into general issue (again police/army if relevant)? I am sure this must have been a general pattern and not one specifically made for the D.M.P. - or am I wrong?

There were a few posts on this 5 years ago, buried within another topic, but not the information I was looking for.  I have asked the same question on the British Military Badge Forum a month ago, but received no responses.  Hoping to have more luck here.

Edited by Peter Mc
    text

• 8 months later...