News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Computers Off at 9pm Tonight Chaps..........

Guest Rick Research

And about time too!

Let's see, that should mean broadcast in the good old US of A in about...

2009. :(

I feel like the only kid in school that hasn't got the punch line of a joke :unsure:

Darrell, Sean Beane is back as Richard Sharpe, in "Sharpe's Challenege." The programme is being aired in a two parter starting this weekend, in the UK, and on BBC America "sometime this century"......

Sharpe has survived the Napoleonic Wars, and the time frame is 1817, and back in the Raj.

Some of the folks in that poster/collage Robin put on-line are among the "departed." What's the situation with the author being in a lobster back uniform???? I don't seem to recall seeing BC in any of the series, or did I miss something in there?

Les

:jumping::jumping: HOORAH!

Over the hills and Far Away!

'What's the situation with the author being in a lobster back uniform????" Me thinks he had to put Mr. Cornwell somewhere since he is the "father" of Richard (Proper Bastard he is and all).

Oh my brother Darrell, where have you been? The Sharpe series (books and movies) have been the best thing to come out of the UK since Guiness, and fish & chips.

Edited by coastie

Guest Darrell

Darrell lives with the rest of us red necks out here in Alberta, and I agree with you....DARRELL YOU GOT TO QUIT STICKING YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND!!! :beer: . So how was it. I am looking forward to it getting over here.

I guess I've been spending too much time in here with the Bro's lately and not enough time in front of the TUBE :P

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I agree it was OK. I much prefer the books. However this epsiode was written for TV and is an amalgamation of Sharpes Tiger and Sharpes Triumph but set in 1817 ! so hence no Obadiah. They have tried to replace his character with a new villian but he just does not carry it off bring, back Pete Postlethwaite !

It is now out also out on DVD.

There was a couple of old characters including Harper and Sir Henry Simmerson. It was the usual good fun but seemed a little tired and a bit cliched.

The whole series (movies and books) are troubled with continuity issues. When the books first came out they didn't follow a time line, they jump from one period to another. Then after Sharpe's Waterloo B. Cornwell did one post Waterloo story (Sharpe's Devil) then did the "prequels" in India and his journey to Spain which the stories are starting to fall flat. I Still love the stories movies and books. I still plan on getting a Baker Rifle some day and going back to blackpowder shooting with it.

New shows?We got the series in my part of the great white.

Maybe they should have put him in the war of 1812. :o He could of helped Brock stop invasion.He could

also went on the raid when they burnt down the house.Lots of good stories. :cheers:

:

Edited by don

My experience has been that the movie is never as good as the book. :(

As a student of cinematic arts I tend to look at them differently. Books often cover much more detail, but few books can be read in two hours. A picture truly tells a thousand words, and thus can offer a different perspective.

I'm an avid reader, and one of my favorite things in the summer is to sit on my roof deck 30 floors above the city and read. But I also have an awesome home theater system that I wouldn't trade for anything. Both are equally rewarding, and offer unbelievable experiences.

And personally I would add that I think some of the Tom Clancy movies have been better than the books. Clancy is a good writer, but he has too many characters, too unresolved subplots and the stories drag. The films work so much better!

The whole series (movies and books) are troubled with continuity issues. When the books first came out they didn't follow a time line, they jump from one period to another. Then after Sharpe's Waterloo B. Cornwell did one post Waterloo story (Sharpe's Devil) then did the "prequels" in India and his journey to Spain which the stories are starting to fall flat. I Still love the stories movies and books. I still plan on getting a Baker Rifle some day and going back to blackpowder shooting with it.

This is a problem with successful series. How do you continue the adventures when the wars are over? And I know what you mean about wanting the Baker Rifle. After years of watching "Zulu" I wanted, and finally bought a Martini Henry!

So how was this latest Sharpe adventure? I personally had been wondering if Sean Bean would return to the character. I know in the UK he's done a number of those romance films, but his world-wide appeal never took off. Playing a villain in the Bond film and then in a few other films including "National Treasure," not to mention taking the worst possible role in "The Lord of the Rings," and of course his supporting role in "Ronin" probably hurt his appeal as a leading man. He's been a rogue and scoundrel too often to be the hero.

Cornwell should do the grandson of Sharpe, and have him go to India, South Africa, the Sudan, etc. So much that a later generation could do.

New shows?We got the series in my part of the great white.

Maybe they should have put him in the war of 1812. :o He could of helped Brock stop invasion.He could

also went on the raid when they burnt down the house.Lots of good stories. :cheers:

:

"Sweet William" (Captain Fredricks) I believe went to the Americas after Sharpe's Revenge and could have done an adventure or two about him.

Also would like to have had more about Harper and his return to Ireland ('cuse me Donagel) instead of just passing him off as a successful horse trader.

There was one of the Chosenmen who didn't get killed off in the movie series, Cooper, He was just wounded and written out of the series. He shows up in a teaser video called "Sharpe's Legend" which was just segments revolving around R. Sharpe. Where is he now?

For all it's short comings it's a good production and a good crew - I had conversed via e-mail several times with the Armourer, Richard Rutherford-Moore, a very pleasant man.