News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WW1 French General/Marshal sleeve rank stars

filfoster

OK, sadly but not surprisingly, no response from the French museum of generals. However, I was interested enough in this topic to buy the wonderful but hideously expensive (at my age, I have less need for the body parts surrendered for the purchase), Verlag books on the WW1 French Army.  Inconclusive. The photos of generals items show mostly silver stars but also a few gold stars; There is no particular explanation for this. Foch's uniforms, in particular two of his Marshal rigs, show both (I think; again, the size of the stars on one photo is not clear enough to distinguish between worn gilt or tarnished silver). 

I hope this thread will eventually produce a definitive answer about this but for now, it seems that it was, as in most armies, then and now, "generals please themselves". Silver seems the most common metal for the stars.

• 4 weeks later...

No museum response, so let's give that up. Based on the Verlag book, (the sutures from the removal of one of my 'parts' for the cost of same have healed rather nicely), the Foch uniform photos suggest that the silver stars were worn on the 'field uniform' and the gold stars were worn on the 'parade'/dress uniform of the same cut. Anyhoo, if that's not right, I look forward to someone posting better information.

filfoster, A last possibilty, regarding the dress uniforms, perhaps Generals used stars in the metal of their Arm of origin , that is Gold for Infantry ,Artillery,and Sappers, Silver for All the Cavalry, Cuirassiers,Dragoons ,Hussars and Chasseurs a cheval. The Light Infantry ,Chasseurs a Pied used also silver buttons and rank Tresses.

• 4 weeks later...